Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ER Shaw 6.5 group buy

romulus

Re: ER Shaw 6.5 group buy

Looking forward to putting this ER Shaw prefit to the test! Pumped! ;D ;D ;D

Basic Member

Got a couple jugs of surplus WC860 waiting for the arrival of my 264WM.

If that powder turns out to be too fast, guess I'll have to grind up some charcoal briquettes.

seanhagerty

Barrel and trigger arrived! Everything was well packaged. Thank you Lance.

Looking forward to todays install and beyond.

Basic Member

Has anyone installed and shot their 6.5 barrel from the group buy yet? If so what kind of results? I installed my 6.5x55 the other day but have had to sand the barrel channel and am waiting on a base so I can drop a scope on it. Getting anxious to see the results!

Basic Member

best so far is about 1.25" @ 100yd using the 142smk. The 120nos and 120amax were 2-3". Hopefully with some more load development and break in, it can get down to the 5/8 range....

seanhagerty

Had a little trouble getting mine attached. Had gunk on my action threads and didn't realize it. I spent an hour threading it on, threading it off..... Finally got it installed, then forgot I was wanting to find the length to the lands!

And now that I have my 223 barrel back on, I will have to wait until next time I install to find it!

I still need the recoil lug, barrel nut, dies and bullets before I can get started. I've got a bag of Remington brass though

Basic Member

I bought an older 110 in a pawn shop a couple months ago for a donor, took the barrel off with no problem, threaded the barrel nut on all the way, slipped the recoil lug on and screwed the barrel on and couldn't get it to headspace on my go gage. It bottomed out on the recoil lug and nut before it reached headspace. I took it off and compared it to my friends extra barrel nut. Mine was threaded all the way through his was threaded about 2/3 the way through and would screw farther up on the barrel and allow me to headspace correctly. Are all older barrel nuts threaded all the way through?

Quote Originally Posted by montana bob
    Are all older barrel nuts threaded all the way through?
    I believe they are; I ran into that same problem when I installed my 260 Criterion last year on an older 110 flat back action.

Ended up ordering a new barrel nut...

Basic Member

That's the model I have.

kruzr69

My 260 ack imp was waiting on my doorstep when I got home tonight. Got it threaded on and headspaced then spent the rest of the night sanding out my stock so it would fit. I need to get some brass and bullets so I can get out this weekend and shoot it.

Basic Member

Got my Grendal barrel today. Got it cleaned up put on using a 473 bolthead (will change it out when ppc head comes in). I put the rail on with just 2 screws and slapped a scope on just to see what it would do. 3 shots on 100 yard gong and only had 1 lead spot showing. Gong was swinging with every shot so 3 in one hole. I think this rifle is going to be just what the doctor ordered for yotes and these small whitetails we have. Will update after new bolthead arrives. Was shooting AA factory ammo with 115 bergers. No chrony reading and kicks like a 22wmr. Now to hide it from the wife as she took my 8mm from me to hunt with. She put a PINK sling on it. Can't let her ruin all my guns with pink.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

SMK Shoe

I received a grendel barrel too. Since I have a AR and encore both in this caliber, figured why not. Still need a small shank action to put it on ( I have five tgt actions and one large shank SA). for the price I figured a good range / loaner rifle to play with. May try shooting some cast lead with this barrel.

Basic Member

Any accuracy reports yet?

seanhagerty

I am chomping at the bit to get mine out and shoot it. I have an Fclass this weekend and want to use my installed barrel before I switch over and start load work up.

I cant wait to get into the this new barrel and see what it can do...

kruzr69

Quote Originally Posted by placek59
    Any accuracy reports yet?
    I just got back from forming some brass for my 260 ACK IMP. I bought a box of Federal Premium 140 Sierra gameking BTSP. I could only shoot 50 yards but my last 9 shots were in a .72" group which I am sure could have been better. 6 shots were in a group that was .42"and I am sure I pulled a couple. I was laying on wet ground and the whole front of my body was soaking wet when I stood up. Now I can get some full power loads worked up I am sure it will only get better.

Basic Member

after about 100rds, 3 different bullets, a couple different powders, the best so far is about 1.5in at 100yds. Most of them were in the 2.5-3 inch range >
    pulled the barrel and gonna have it bore scoped to see if there is a problem somewhere I guess.

Advertiser

after about 100rds, 3 different bullets, a couple different powders, the best so far is about 1.5in at 100yds. Most of them were in the 2.5-3 inch range >
    pulled the barrel and gonna have it bore scoped to see if there is a problem somewhere I guess.
    Can you share what bullets and powders you are using? How far off of the lands are you seating?

Basic Member

Sure Lance, (I'm not trying to shoot the messenger here either) I don't have the exact data in front of me now, but I tried.. H4350, Varget, and N165 along with 120 noslers, 120 amax, and 142 smk. I'm going to get some 140amax to try too. The 142 smk shot the best at about 1.5 with all powders. The smk were seated at various depths, (2.901 seemed to be at the lands with the 142's if I remember) I haven't tried them jammed yet, but have tried them right at the lands up to .050 off. I have never had good luck with the smk's jammed in my 6br, 260ai, or 308 which is why I haven't tried them jammed yet. The others were right around published coal in the book (2.800'ish ?) The barrel doesn't copper foul bad at all, less than a factory barrel for sure. For brass I have tried Lapua .308 necked down, and 260 rem brass.

I haven't given up yet, just frustrated so far..I know any maker can have a bad barrel now and then (and the barrel may be fine, I could be the bad..)..

Advertiser

I don't have the exact data in front of me now, but I tried.. H4350, Varget, and N165 along with 120 noslers, 120 amax, and 142 smk. I'm going to get some 140amax to try too. The 142 smk shot the best at about 1.5 with all powders.
    I was asking because the 260 is what I have played around with the most recently. I have had great luck with 43gr H4350 and 142gr SMK's seated at 2.860 COAL in both a Shaw and Shilen barrels. H4350 seems to be the most popular powder for the 260 using the 142gr SMK's. I also tested 120gr NBT's today with 46.5gr H4350 (2.780 COAL) and had good results with 3050 fps in a 24 in barrel.

Please keep me posted on your barrel. I am sure you will be able to get it shooting under 1" with the right combinations.

Lance

Basic Member

I installed my 6.5x55 barrel the other day and was waiting for a base. It arrived today so I popped a scope on the rifle and took some hunting loads that my Tikka likes and target loads my Remington likes. Started with the hunting loads and shot about 1 1/2 groups, switched to target loads and obviously my Remington is throated deeper, I used a PTG match reamer on it, The target loads went into the lands but surprisingly shot about 1 inch. I was cleaning between shots (every three). The barrel shows promise and I'm looking forward to working on some loads for it. The hunting loads were 129 gr Hornady SST's over 44 gr of H414 and the target loads were 123 gr SMK over 41 grains of IMR 4064.

seanhagerty

Just check the depth to the lands on my 260 Rem. With 140 Berger VLD's it is 2.880".

I am really needing to get out and shoot this, but I think the wife is off tomorrow!!! :'( There goes the day I had set up to be outside playing!!

seanhagerty

[img width=458 height=768]http://www.fotolode.com/images/sabersix315/imag0305.jpg[/img]

This is the very first four rounds through my .260 Rem barrel. I am pretty happy about that. More to follow. I did some load development today. It went way better than expected, with some groups showing just over a 1/4 inch at 100 yds!!

Basic Member

Well I found a sweet load today for my 6.5x55 ER SHAW barrel from the group buy. My loads were shooting from 3/4 to 1" center to center I kept trying different load combinations and happened upon this, Winchester brass, Wolf large rifle primers, 44 grains of H414, 130 grain Berger VLD's seated .010 from the lands my group measured .422 from outside of hole to outside, subtract the .264= .158 I'm afraid to shoot anymore! That was a 4 shot group. I have to confess though, I did have 1 flyer, a 5th bullet would have opened up to about 3/4. Probably human error.

seanhagerty

Here is the best of the development process. The group on the right is 45.7gr of IMR4350 with 120SMK hdy brass and CCI LR primers, all seated to 2.740" OAL.

These are 3 shot 100 yd groups, with the one on the right being just over 0.3" CTC.

I'm pretty happy with my ER Shaw barrel!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast