Thread: Help and Questions about my Savage 110e

Nathan_E

Help and Questions about my Savage 110e

Hey guys and girl, I'm new to the whole creating and customizing side of firearms. Sense i love shooting i want to have a little more fun with a rifle. i just recently bought a .223 Savage 110e love the way it shoots. but i don't have some ideas and questions.
    IDEAS:
    1.Put some sort of camo or design on it . please give feed back on what is a good idea in your eyes for a camo on a gun.
    2.New stock style . I have the Factory wood stock witch i absolutely hate .To me it has a very low cheek rest and i would like some how to maybe find a new stock.

With those to idea comes up my second thing questions.
    QUESTIONS :
    1. Will the savage 110 stock work with the savage 110e or is there a major difference.
    2. what is a good price on a good stock synthetic and or wood
    3. whats a good paint primer and all the painting stuff
    4. what is some tips and tricks that you guys have for me owning a savage 110e

Thank you . I know some of these questions are very easy and you would think i should know but like i said I'm very new to the customizing side of fire arms .

thanks for you time.

ellobo

Re: Help and Questions about my Savage 110e

What you have is one of the first generation Savages using a short action cartridge. they used a long action with an appropriat bolt head (they float and are seperate) and spacer (baffle) to shorten the bolt throw. If you want to convert to a long action cartridge you will need a new bolt head and baffle as well as a new magazine. Your magazine may be a long cartridge magazine and removing the spacer may work.
    All kinds of stock are available from several makers. Krylon paint in various colors with stencils of various foliage types overlaid will make a camo stock. You will have to know what the mounting screw spacing is on your rifle as they varied. The first ones had a 5.062 mounting screw distance. the next generation had a 4.522 distance. I think it is because the first ones used a long action magazine with a spacer and the second generation had a true short cartridge magazine. That may cause a problem in getting a stock. Dont let someone tell you they didnt make a short action cartridge guns on a 110 long action. They did. Stocky's Stocks, Sin Arms, Sharpshooter Supply and Boyds are places to get stocks. Generic stocks from Midway or Brownells may not have the right bolt spacing. Your bolt head may be a differnt type than is now used and require some mods. If you want to convert to a long action cartridge and have a 5.062 bolt spacing you may have lucked out. There are other nuances you will hae to take into account, like a different firing pin dia., differrent baffle, etc.

El Lobo

Nathan_E

Thank you very much for the help . Is there way to check quickly. Or im guess its simple and im just very smart u just measure the 2 screw on the bottum ? haha sorry for the low intelligence questions like i said im learning.

thanks again .

ellobo

Dont be afraid to ask here. thats why we are here. And by the way, your rifle probably has a flat rear reciever. Make sure it has the proper scope mounting rail if there is one on it. If not make sure you get one to fit. Make sure the barrel free floats as well as the tang and it should shoot decent groups as is.

El Lobo

Nathan_E

Nathan_E

Sense mine is the 4.522 distance would there be a way to convert to long action ? by making it too 5.062?

No you can not make longer that would require drilling and tapping the action.
    You can always buy a long action stock then fill the front screw hole with epoxy and redrill for your action,or contact one of the custom stock makers. I am sure they could build you a stock but bring your wallet it could get expensive to the point that you find you actually love the original stock.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Nathan_E

do u know of any synthetic stocks they have for it ? normal black ? something other then wood .

ellobo

Try the Numrich website, they may have a stock that will fit.

El Lobo

Nathan_E

well i found a couple and they still seem kinda pricey SO I'm just gonna go with my plan b . painting my rifle. I have seen a couple guns with the spider web camo i think it was. my idea is to keep it a dark color over a light color . like neon orange webs and a matte black . just something unique . anyone got ideas ? i would like to keep darker colors though .

Basic Member

You can get a "first gen short action - 4.522" from Stockade - real nice stocks. Get a money saver at $205 ($175 + $30 inlet for that action) and all you do is sand, fill, and paint!
    Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts. No offense.

Nathan_E

well i have watched a couple vidoes on painting wood stocks and i dont have anything else but time :)do you have any opions on painting wood stocks ?