Thread: Model 12 VLP unable to zero with factory barrel

Basic Member

Model 12 VLP unable to zero with factory barrel

I bought a 12 VLP 223 with the fast 1-7" twist a year and a half ago or so. I started breaking the barrel in before mounting optics on it and picked up a Shaw 1-14" barrel in the same caliber to use as a prairie dog barrel (bought the gun with a 7" twist to use for distant target shooting). Mounted up a Viper 6.5-20x44 and attempted to zero the factory barrel. I bottomed out the adjustments in the scope trying to find paper at 25 yards. Still hitting a foot low at this range. Was planning on heading to wyoming to shoot some dogs, so I pulled the factory barrel off and put the Shaw on. Zeroed without any headaches and I shot it for some time. Last week, I got around to getting the factory barrel back on and the same issue remains. Shots are striking extremely low. The only thing I have found out of the ordinary was that both the recoil lug and barrel nut were gouged when taken off initially as if something was jammed between them when tightened down at the factory. I replaced the barrel nut (had a spare lying around) but left the factory lug in place when shooting the Shaw barrel. I only mention this because I found it odd, but it is not near severe enough to cause the issue I am seeing. My only theory is that the threads on the factory barrel are not perpendicular to the axis of the bore causing it to be out of square with the action? Any thoughts?

Nathan

Basic Member

Re: Model 12 VLP unable to zero with factory barrel

I know of another Savage that that was that way. Call the factory and they'll take care of you. Obviously they'll want your whole rifle. Stuff just happens sometimes.

1Shot

...Not uncommon...I have a few myself...That's why most people use Burris rings so they can shim em...That's just part of being a Savage owner...lol...

Basic Member

I have burris rings as well. No way to shim enough. Even with a 20 MOA base, I wouldn't hit paper as it is

This might be a silly question... don't take it the wrong way... but what kind of scope rail/base are you using? IIRC there are one or two canted scope rails out there that are physically possible to install backwards, which might cause some major problems with getting a zero...

Most (if not all) of the actions are done on CNC machining centers nowadays. While its not possible for something to be screwed up, it does reduce the possibility of something like the threads for the receiver being that much off center (without something else being noticeably screwed up as well). Both barrels being off the same direction would indicate its probably *not* the barrel... possibly a problem w/ the recoil lug, barrel nut, or receiver face being 'off', but again hard to imagine it being that far off.

Basic Member

I have a model 12 BVSS 223 rem that was shooting about 2ft high and right at 25 yds when I bought it new
    Savage had me send the rifle to them and they replaced the barrel
    They did not tell me what was wrong with the old barrel, (I tried to find out)
    New barrel shoots great
    Hope you get it worked out

Jack

Basic Member

My inclination is the say that it must be the factory barrel that is the issue. The aftermarket barrel zeroed no problem. I also considered the scope bases (2 piece) and even went so far as to reverse their positions (front to back, back to front) and the problem continues. I'll call savag e and see what they think. I'm guessing they'll end up replacing the barrel. Not looking forward to breaking a new barrel in. This one started pretty rough with real bad copper fouling but I put in the time to do the one and clean for 12 or so rounds and it cleans up pretty well now......Cant hit paper with it, but it cleans well. Haha

Ah. I misread your first post; I thought both barrels were doing the same thing. My mistake!