Thread: 69gr sierra hpbt on coyote ??

243dave

69gr sierra hpbt on coyote ??

I know its meant for punching paper but the accuracy out of my 223 with'em has got me thinking about it. Has anyone used them out of the 223 ? What kind of performance did you get ? I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything I'd just like to hear some real world experiences with these bullets. Dave

pa_wdchuckhuntr

Re: 69gr sierra hpbt on coyote ??

I played around with the 95gr matchkings out of my .243 for varmints. All shots were through and throughs with no hint of expansion. The 'chucks were still dead afterwards but not with the authority of a standard expanding varmint bullet. I'd imagine that without perfect shot placement on a coyote you'd be doing alot of tracking.

I'm useing the 65gr (spbt) gamekings out of my .223 for varmints with good results but haven't shot a 'yote with them yet.

Exhaust3

What load do you use in your 223? I have a 223 w/ a 1-8" twist and am curious to what most use for a load using 69gr SMK's. I've just started load development in my 223 and have a starting load of 24.0 grs. of Varget. Just curious as to what most are using. Thanks.

outlawkyote

Using the 69's from a 12 twist Rem was devistating on coyotes. If you save pelts, defenatly look for a different bullet. The 69's really tore large holes through the coyotes Ive shot.

pa_wdchuckhuntr

Using the 69's from a 12 twist Rem was devistating on coyotes. If you save pelts, defenatly look for a different bullet. The 69's really tore large holes through the coyotes Ive shot.
    After my experience with the 6mm 95's I gave up on matchkings for animals. Maybe I'll have to try the .22cal 69's now. I've been itching to try some heavier bullets anyways.

outlawkyote

The 69's are hard hitting bullets usually with a sickening sound of a thud when you connect on a coyote. They are the worst bullet I found for pelt damage at 223 velocities.
    If your wanting to save pelts but continue to use heavy bullets, the 75gr A-max is very pelt friendly.

243dave

Thanks for the replies. I may have to give them a try. I'm glad to hear they expand at 223 velocities, I'm not concerned about pelt damage. I'm more concerned about humane and quick kills. Dave

Basic Member

I never used them in 22 cal but Sierra makes a 55gr Gameking, actually several, but the 55gr HPBT version ought to be the best of both worlds.

I used the 85gr, 6mm version, on yotes and they were devastating.

Uncle Jack

What is your object? Do you just want to zap'em or are you collecting pelts?

uj

Basic Member

25.0grs of varget is a standard load for the 69gr sierra.