Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 or 40 MOA base for savage Long Action??

kennyg

30 or 40 MOA base for savage Long Action??

I am wondering where I could find a 30 or 40 MOA base for my savage long action (round rear)? I do not want to get the adjustable rings, and I need more elevation then I currently have with my 20 MOA base. Thanks

tyler.woodard04

Re: 30 or 40 MOA base for savage Long Action??

why not a 20 MOA base and the burris signature zee rings? just wondering

kennyg

I guess I am just not too excited about those style of rings....I know that they work fine for a lot of people but I would rather have the elevation in the base and be able to use standard rings. Anyways, just trying to locate one of these bases. I thought that ken farrell made them but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere.

tyler.woodard04

you wont find a tapered base for "standard" rings anyway. for weaver style and picitiny style yes. never had a problem with the signature zee rings myself. I feel they grip the scope better than a metal ring also. good luck

I had an elevation problem at long range with my 0 MOA EGW base. Weaver windage adjustable rings and my Viper scope. I switched over to a 20 MOA base and the Signature Zee rings using the +10 and -10 inserts. I've got more than enough elevation at long range now.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

kennyg

Okay just to clear things up, I currently have Burris XTR rings and an EGW 20 moa base. What I would like to do is just swap out the base and keep my rings. Apparently no one makes a base with more taper for the savage LA?

call egw. they may have something non catalog.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

somewhere I seen a sliding adj MOA base. I forget where.

found it http://www.kenfarrell.com/

more...

http://www.officer.com/product/10232...caliber-rifles

http://www.iveyshooting.com/
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

kennyg

Thanks! That Ken Farrell 30 MOA base looks good!

JCalhoun

Kenny;

Just out of curiosity, how far are you shooting that 20moa isn't enough?

kennyg

Well I am putting together a 7 Saum, and I honestly have never shot past 800 (never had a true long range rifle before), but I would like to see what this gun will do past 1000, and eventually to 1500 or however far we can lob those bullets out there. :) I just hunt and shoot for fun with friends, no formal competition, but I don't want to be limited by my scope adjustment, so I figured if I could get it set up the way I want it now, I wouldn't have to change anything out later.

helotaxi

What scope? Do you hope to be able to zero at 100yds when you're done?

kennyg

Sightron SIII 6-24x50. They have 100 MOA of travel. I should be able to zero at 100 but I like to zero at 250 for max point blank range.

M.O.A.

dnz has a 30moa base,ring mount for a 1 inch scope but im not for sure about for a 30mm scope?

jrmy_1

Quote Originally Posted by kennyg
    Okay just to clear things up, I currently have Burris XTR rings and an EGW 20 moa base. What I would like to do is just swap out the base and keep my rings. Apparently no one makes a base with more taper for the savage LA?
    Did you ever find anything? I'm in the same boat, looking for a 30MOA base, preferrable in silver as I'm using it on a SS 7mmRM. I'm going to see if EGW has anything. It's nice to get the full range of the scope, if needed. my scope is +/-35MOA, so the optimal would be a 30MOA base. I'm planning on getting a longer barrel and a can on the gun, so I can easily get supersonic out to 1800 yds and will need the extra adjustment for desert shooting.

Also, I am interested in a higher/thicker base as I feel the base is more secure and the shorter the rings the less movement in the system.

Did you find anything other than the Ken Farrel? They are a little more pricey than I wanted.

Thanks!
    J

r29l20

I may be wrong, but I think leatherwood makes one.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by jrmy_1
    Did you find anything other than the Ken Farrel? They are a little more pricey than I wanted.
    You want something non-standard, you're going to have to pay to play. You could always shim and bed a 20MOA base to get more elevation. I would seriously consider getting a scope better suited to shooting at the range you seem interested in. 70 MOA isn't much adjustment range at all and I wouldn't go more than 20-25 MOA on a base with that amount of adjustment unless you are willing to give up the possibility of zeroing inside of 250+ yds.

jrmy_1

I talked to EGW and they said they will custom their standard mount for an extra $20 or so, so that brings their standard rings to about 60 dollars plus shipping. Not bad. This seems like the best/cheapest route for what are considered a quality base.

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    You want something non-standard, you're going to have to pay to play. You could always shim and bed a 20MOA base to get more elevation. I would seriously consider getting a scope better suited to shooting at the range you seem interested in. 70 MOA isn't much adjustment range at all and I wouldn't go more than 20-25 MOA on a base with that amount of adjustment unless you are willing to give up the possibility of zeroing inside of 250+ yds.
    Actually, 250-300yd zero would be ideal for my 7mmRM. This would provide approximately a +/-3 in maximum and minimum deviation from LOS out to around 300yds. That's good for direct hold-on for deer hunting out to 300 yds, anyway.

If the scope has +/- 35MOA, the 30 MOA base would theoretically allow the scope to have -5 MOA available if zero'd for very close range, of course this is if manufacturing specs. are right on. I would hope it wouldn't be off more than 5 MOA.

I agree, 70moa elevation/windage range isn't ideal, but I don't have the cash for a NightForce these days. :'(

helotaxi

If the scope has +/- 35MOA, the 30 MOA base would theoretically allow the scope to have -5 MOA available if zero'd for very close range, of course this is if manufacturing specs. are right on. I would hope it wouldn't be off more than 5 MOA.
    If each ring were off by 0.002" (standard machining tolerance) and the rings were mounted 6" apart on the rail, that is 4 MOA. If the rings are closer together than number gets bigger. That assumes that the base and receiver are "perfect" and the barrel shoots perfectly straight.

jrmy_1

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    If each ring were off by 0.002" (standard machining tolerance) and the rings were mounted 6" apart on the rail, that is 4 MOA. If the rings are closer together than number gets bigger. That assumes that the base and receiver are "perfect" and the barrel shoots perfectly straight.
    Good point, I was assuming +/-0.0005 tolerances on all grinding activity. I ended up ordering a 20moa base from EGW. I'll mic it out to figure tolerances, I guess I don't really know.
    Thanks for the info!

kennyg

J,

The Ken Farrell is the only one that I found, and I looked quite a bit. I think you could also have a custom one made, but I doubt it would be any cheaper.....if you come up with something else, let me know!

jrmy_1

Quote Originally Posted by kennyg
    J,

The Ken Farrell is the only one that I found, and I looked quite a bit. I think you could also have a custom one made, but I doubt it would be any cheaper.....if you come up with something else, let me know!
    EGW told me they would do a custom base for an additional $20 on base price. Not too bad. That would bring the price to $59.99 for their standard base and $89.99 for their HD base (heavy duty). They said it would take a few weeks to customize, so I just bought a 20moa base as that will take me out to 1200+yd. I can buy something else down the road.

kennyg

That is good to know, I didn't realize EGW made custom bases!

OrRedbeard

Murphy Precision will make a base with whatever moa you want at no extra charge I got a 30moa for a 110 ba plus it is stainless steel.

kennyg

what is the cost for this if you don't mind me asking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.