Thread: Need some info on my Savage 110

JD31186

Need some info on my Savage 110

Hey all, brand new here. Hope I can find some info here.
    Just got this last week. My dad has an old Left handed .243 from around 1959. Always liked it so I finally got myself one in 30-06. It shoots well, however I am having an issue with loading. I was just wondering how everybody gets their magazine spring to seat properly so that when loading, the bullets will actually load. Right now I can only get one bullet to press down into the internal magazine box. My dad and I got it working a few days ago. But of course I had to take it apart and again it is messed up. While I had it apart I noticed the trigger has several screws. Is it adjustable? Hopefully you can see what I am asking about in the pictures. Also has anyone come across these savages with the light stock? I've only seen two of them, was it a limited run they had?

Thanks for any info

[img width=600 height=399]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9449/img3202v.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=399]http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7070/img3201k.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=399]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/56/img3200b.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=399]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8515/img3199w.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=399]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/809/img3198e.jpg[/img]

Re: Need some info on my Savage 110

Your stock is made of beech and the mag problem,I would try a new spring and make sure there is nothing preventing the follower from depressing in the mag housing. There may be burrs and you should remove them with a dremel or a file. If the follower binds then sand the sides alittle bit at a time to insure it will go down smoothly.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Werewolf

Yes that 3 screw trigger is adjustable, there are sticky's on this site about how to do it. Follow all instructions ESPECIALLY the part about safety testing. I have one of those old triggers that breaks at 2.5 pounds clean as a whistle!

Whoops looked at it again and it is a 4 screw. Above comments still apply :).

JD31186

Hey Jon, Looked in the mag housing and it is pretty clean. The whole rifle appears to hardly have been used. I did find a new mag follower assembly through brownells so hopefully that will clear up my issue. The first bullet loads perfectly. But when I try to insert the second bullet the whole thing just nose dives into the magazine well. I think the spring got tweaked so it isn't allowing the follower to go down evenly.

Hey Werewolf. how would you compare the quality of the stock trigger with that of a timney when it comes to adjustability and shootability?

Also, was just playing around with the gun again while I was trying to get the magazine follower to seat properly. The portion of my barrel that sits at the front inch of my stock is not free floated. Is that normal? Did they leave extra wood there to create a pressure point?

I don't know if it will effect the accuracy. I have only been able to put about 13 rounds through it before it started raining and now I am replacing the scope on it. Back lens came loose. (weird) So I haven't had a chance to really dial it in.

Thanks again for the info

Basic Member

make sure that when you mash your spring down that its not getting under the mag.

JD31186

Thanks for the link Uncle Jack would that work the same for a 4 screw trigger? Also do you know if that magazine spring would work in an older rifle like mine? That seems to be a much better design than the Z-spring that is in it.

Keeki- I currently have two pieces of tape to keep the spring from getting under the mag. However it still isn't sitting correctly.

Thanks

Basic Member

Let me offer a suggestion for a trigger, (Rifle Basix, SAV-2).
    On the subject of the mag, maybe I'm wrong but it looks like the spring may be bent. I dont think that the front of the "follower" should be pointing down like that. I not sure of it but maybe someone else on this forum can take another look and offer some expert advise.

Werewolf

JD31186, I have found the Timney triggers to be a bit smoother than the old stock ones, and I have gotten a timney to go a touch lower than the stock 3 screw, but a stock trigger can be entirely satisfactory for a game hunting rig. That being said, I have not messed with any of the lighter triggers or a rifle basix to see how they compare. Each rifle is a little different as far as how far down you can get the trigger safely.

ellobo

My rifles are for hunting, not competiton. All have the adjustable, 3 screw factory triggers and all have been adjusted to a very good hunting pressure. Aftermarket triggers are expensive but worth the money if you are so inclined. Does your rifle have the flat back rear on the reciever? If so, do you have the correct scope base for it? Definately relieve the wood in the barrel channel with sandpaper on a large dowel then oil the bare wood so moisture doesnt warp the wood.

El Lobo

JD31186

Olddav.. I was think the exact same thing about the follower So I think I should pick up a new one.

Thanks for the Input on the trigger Werewolf. I picked up a Timney on sale. But then I noticed that my trigger was adjustable. I will play around with both and see which I prefer.

El Lobo I believe it is the flat back rear. As for the scope bases, My FFL dealer had to put on a set of extended weaver rings in order to work with the scope I had. The bases themselves were on the gun when I got it so I believe they are what should be there. I'll work on relieving the barrel channel tomorrow before work.

Thanks again for all the input

Midway USA has the follower your looking for and it uses a round coil spring rather than the flat spring. I put one in my 30-06 and it works great.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

JD31186

Hey GaCop, did your rifle have the leaf spring to begin with? I really like the idea of the coil spring setup. I believe it to be a better design than the leaf spring. I looked on Midway before and didn't find the follower. I will take another look.

thanks

roadkill46

i would say it is the dreaded follower tilt scenario that happens with old AR mags as well. one or two shells and the front or rear of the plastic follower nose dives a little then the rest don't load correctly or will be loose and just fall out since there is no pressure from the spring to the follower due to it being jacked to one side or front to back or vice versa. new follower/spring should be good to go. my .02

JD31186

Just got a email back from Midway USA. this is what I got back. "Thank you for the email concerning your Savage Arms 110. I believe that this magazine follower should fit one all Savage Long Action 30-06 firearms. However, it does not specify if it is designed for internal, external, or all magazine types. I would recommend contacting Savage directly as this is a factory replacement part."
    This is the part I was asking about: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=271627

I just got off the phone with Savage and they said my gun is too old for them to give support for :-[ But he said the part in question would not work. GaCop said he switched his over.. Anyone else out there running a coil spring in their older 110s as opposed to the leaf spring that was in there?

Thanks again

Basic Member

Just stretch the spring out so it looks like a upper case "W".
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

JD31186

Good news. Got the spring to reset correctly ;D

I did order a new one with the coil spring. I will see if and how that works. If it works well I will let you all know. Now that I know how to get it in correctly I can shift my focus onto adjusting my trigger and enjoying my gun again.

Just want to give a big thanks to all of you who posted with info. All of it was very much appreciated.

JD31186

Just wanted to give you all the news.. New magazine follower arrived today. It is about an 1/8 of an inch shorter than the original one. But it works without having to fidget with it like I had to with the old leaf spring. Loaded my 2 practice rounds with ease. Again thanks all for the info.. Got the trigger tweaked and now to just enjoy it.. ;D