Thread: Are NF scopes worth the $$$, or should I get a Sightron

scnewt

Are NF scopes worth the $$$, or should I get a Sightron

Hey guys just a quick question. I (for now) have a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50mm on top of my heavy barrel 30-06. I bought this scope from Midway based on the sale price of $125 and the reviews that came with it. It is alot of scope for the money, however I do not really like it that much. The glass is not that great and fogs up on me with the summer heat. I will be using this rifle for deer so anything that fogs up is unacceptable. I won't be buying anything soon because a good scope is a big investment in the 20x magnification range. I know alot of you use Nightforce scopes but I have been looking and noticed that the Sightron SIIIs are often compared to them. The Sightron SIII I am looking at is a 6-24x50mm with mil-dot and side focus. It is $806 at Midway and seems like a bargain. Any input from owners would be greatly apprecciated. Thanks in advance.

Basic Member

Re: Are NF scopes worth the $$$, or should I get a Sightron

Die hard Nightforce shooters will say spend the money and get Nightforce. I use Sightron. I have looked thru both and for the money i can't see enough difference to spend the extra. You can find a better price online if you look around. Here is a link to a cheaper price on the Sightron. About $140 cheaper than Midway.

http://www.theammozone.com/optics/sc...6-24x50mm.html

Only bad thing is they don't sell Nightforce.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

dcloco

For close to the same price, you are better off with a Leupold VX3 LR or LR/T. I buy Leupolds used...if you search, you can find Mark 4 with M1 turrets in the 800 range.

The NF scopes are very good....but...I don't think they warrant the $1600+ price tag.

My favorite scope - Mark 4 16x40 with M1 turrets. Usually found in the $800 price range. Don't like the reticle you buy it with, $115 and Leupold will change it for you.

On all of your scopes, use the lens cleaner with the anti fog conditioner - it helps quite a bit.

About your scope consideration, a scope should have 90 to 100 moa vertical adjustment...minimum. The 16x40 Mark 4's have 150 moa.

Basic Member

I gotta disagree here. None of the 7 VXIIIs I have owned come close to either of my SIIIs. I do think my NF is better, but not sure if it is worth the increased price. My IORs are too close to the NF to tell a difference, and a few hondo cheaper.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    I gotta disagree here. None of the 7 VXIIIs I have owned come close to either of my SIIIs. I do think my NF is better, but not sure if it is worth the increased price. My IORs are too close to the NF to tell a difference, and a few hondo cheaper.
    Are you comparing VXiii, VXiii with Multicoat 4, or VX3 with Multicoat 4 lens coatings? Makes a difference in clarity.

I do think my NF is better
    I have got to agree with the above, I have tried them all and NF is hard to beat IMO. I don't have to wear any corrective glasses with NF, and their very clear at 600.

So is Swarovski, they have about the best glass, but they don't have a nice "target" scope even though many use them for target shooting.

[B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

"Are you comparing VXiii, VXiii with Multicoat 4, or VX3 with Multicoat 4 lens coatings? Makes a difference in clarity."

I have all VXIIIs, not positive what coatings, but it shouldn't matter. The Mk4s are supposed to be better than the VX3s and the 2 Mk4s I have shot on friends "work" rifles are not any better brightness or clarity wise,as my Sightron SIIIs either, and they cost quite a bit more.

That is just how my eyes see it, others may see it differently.

dcloco

319 - Lens coatings do make a difference.

But, you are right, your own eyes tell the story.

I do have one more item to add, which 319 jogged my memory on, the USER needs to focus the eyepiece to THEIR vision. Shooting another person's scope provides a scope that has not been properly adjusted to your eyesight.

Basic Member

dcloco, that is a very good point. That is why I always ask people if they mind if I adjust their scope before I shoot. Especially before lasik because I would focus to my uncorrected eyes instead of trying to look through my glasses while shooting. Now after lasik I don't have much of a problem with things like that.

I am certainly no expert, but if you take two identical pieces of glass, one coated and one not coated the clarity and amount of light that passes through the glass can't change, can it? The glass can only allow a certain amount of light to pass through, and the clarity can't be changed by a coating. Or is there some thing I am missing? I have read a lot of the coating talk is just hype from the manufacturer. I don't really know much about it.

r29l20

Sightron does make top notch stuff. People that tell you Leupold is the best, have not compared them to whats out there now. N.F. if you can justify the cost, they are worth it. I'm not saying Leupold is bad, just dollar for dollar, there are better options.

dcloco

Lens coatings help the human eye to seperate and define the edges of objects and color transitions.

One of the reasons I post on the various "help me with accurizing my shooting" threads....quit using color targets. Black and white...the eye is less busy and colors are not bleeding at the edges of the dot, line, whatever.

Ya'll have got me so excited, I ordered two more 12x42 BR's with the NP2DD reticle!

There only about $1,350, in that area, just do a search on the web! IMO they are well worth the extra money!

Here's one!

http://www.sportoptics.com/nightforc...2x56-C107.aspx
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

Gotta love the NP-2DD reticle! That is what I have in my NXS and that is what I will get in my next NF also!

Quote Originally Posted by scnewt
    Hey guys just a quick question. I (for now) have a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50mm on top of my heavy barrel 30-06. I will be using this rifle for deer so anything that fogs up is unacceptable. I know alot of you use Nightforce scopes but I have been looking and noticed that the Sightron SIIIs are often compared to them. The Sightron SIII I am looking at is a 6-24x50mm with mil-dot and side focus. It is $806 at Midway and seems like a bargain. Thanks in advance.
    For your intended purpose...deer hunting, the Sightron may not be the best choice. I have not looked through the 6-24x model to be able to confirm one way or the other but, I have 5 of the 10-50x60 models and 4 Nightforce 12-42x56 BR models and can tell you the focus range on the Sightron is significantly more sensitive than the Nightforces. With the Sightron, when I focus in on my target, I can't see anything clearly much closer or much further away. It's a pretty small window of clarity. I shoot benchrest so my target is not moving, I'm not scanning around etc., as I assume you may be in a hunting situation. The Nightforce's I have are much more forgiving in this area. Something to think about.

Check out the scope you're interested in, ask others if the lower power models have this issue before laying out the cash. I bought my Sightron's when they first came out, it's my understanding they may have changed things with the new model year, maybe they're better now...?

All that being said, the glass on the Sightron's is really good, can't really tell a difference between the two brands. I don't feel at a disadvantage using the Sightron in a match.

And, Midway definitely doesn't have the best pricing. I bought mine through a place in PA, Hoover's gun shop.

-Rick

Unbiased AR15, Barnard, BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

Basic Member

Rick the 10-50's are touchy but the lower powers are not and judging from mine (10-50, 8-32, 6-24) it seems to be a problem with just the 10-50 model. Like you i only shoot targets with it so once adjusted all is good. I have seen this brought up before so i would guess it is restricted to the side focus only on the 10-50x60mm model.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member

I've got both Nightforce and Sightron. Nightforce wins every time. Both are for long range target shooting. They both leave Leupold behind in my mind.
    6CM

Bah...if you're even considering spending $1500 on a NF just double down and buy a Schmidt & Bender and be done with it. ;D
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain