Thread: .338 Sin Build

twcracker

.338 Sin Build

Want to build a general purpose rifle for all North American game. Looking hard at the .338 Sin in a 20-22" barrel with a brake. Will be using 225 gr. Barnes bullets @ 2,800 fps and wanting a repeater with at least a two round magazine capacity. I know I can meet my guide lines with the .338 Norma Magnum but it appears simpler to build the .338 Sin. I have read all of the post I can find but am still confused. I have found references to using both RUM and 330 Dakota brass for the parent case. With the RUM brass the case must be shortened and then hydro-formed. It appears that the Dakota case was run through a Sin sizing die and then fire formed. Which method is correct and is any prepared brass available for the Sin? I do not want to do the simpler build to only have an on going pain in my butt forming brass.

Re: .338 Sin Build

Contact Sin arms seeing as how Devin developed the round he can tell you what you need to know better than anyone else.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

sinman

You can use either Rum brass or Dakota Brass. There are some very good reasons why to go with the Dakota Brass. 1 just fireform (no need for 4 custom dies and hydro forming. 2 Dakota Brass is usually in stock most of the time unlike a lot of the Rum brass. 3 Dakota brass is made by Norma and it is top notch brass. send me an email if you need more info sin_arms@yahoo.com

twcracker

Sinman,

Thanks for the clarification. The Dakota brass will be the way to go and I agree about the quality of Norma brass. Selling several items now to order barrel and dies asap.

Thanks

ellobo

.338-06 isnt a bad choice either and very close ballistics and 06 brass is all over the place. My .35 Whelen (.35-06) will throw 200 and 225 grain bullets at petty good velocity. Even the 250 gr. I can get to 2600fps with some powders. Not a long range catridge but more than enough for anythng on this continent. Ask Sinman his opinion.

El Lobo.