Thread: Centerfeed Blind Magazine Questions and a few other ignorant questions

Josh

Centerfeed Blind Magazine Questions and a few other ignorant questions

Hey all! :) Josh here. Brand new to the forum. ;D

I actually got directed here from another forum because I had a few questions about my new Savage(awesome!).

First, let me say I love the rifle. I had been in the market for a new Savage for a while and I ended up picking up a new FPX110(wal mart version) a few days ago. Synthetic stock.

Anyway, I've done a few things to improve the gun out of the box. I've added a 1 piece scope base, a bipod adapter and a bipod, and a Bushnell Elite 3200. I've also added an oversized bolt/charging handle, a stainless triggergaurd, and adjusted the accutrigger down to the lowest setting. I've also succeeded in messing a few things up....but that's another post.

That's not what I'm writing about though. Truth is, while I'm not unfamiliar with guns, this is my first Savage and indeed my first bolt gun ever. It's a .30-06 springfiled long action with the centerfed blind magazine.

My issue is I can't figure out how to load the darn thing.

Just in case anyone reading or doing a google search for this answer years laters wants some clarification, "blind magazine" means; or rather what I BELIEVE BLIND MAGAZINE MEANS (AND COULD BE WRONG!!) means the magazine is inside the stock and only accessable through the bolt. It is not removable without taking off the stock and using a small tool to pry it out of the stock. It is not a detachable magazine nor can it have rounds fed to it from under the stock. Rounds must be fed from under the bolt while it is in the rearmost position.

From what I can tell there are two ways of potentially loading this thing. First(and easiest) I could just pop the rounds straight down into the magazine THROUGH the feed lips. Those feed lips are definitely flexible enough to make this the probable answer. However, doing this for a few rounds will I assume, eventually change the inner spacing between the feedlips and cause feed failures which would eventually ruin the magazine.

The alternative being to attempt to insert the round by putting the forend in the chamber portion of the barrel and puching the rear end of the round down just in front of the feed lips and then pulling back catching the rear of the round just under the feed lips of the magazine. Once this is accomplished one would catch the rear of the round under their fingernail and pull rearwards until the round is properly seated(clear as mud I have no doubt, just ask and I'll TRY to post pics). This method is fine for 1 round, but after that it becomes decidedly more difficult as you battle the changing spring dynamic and the fact that the second round is now on top of a round and thus becoming more difficult to hold steady.

This alternative also has the potential of causing damage to my precious accuracy enducing chamber because it requires the sticking around of the bthp in there while I try to position the bullet correctly "in .30-06 at least."

So, finally the crux:

What is the RIGHT way to load a Savage long action 110 centerfed blind magazine? Also are there any tools that make it easier to do?

Also on another note I did want to ask some questions on torque values really quick(I know these are already out there, but you could save me some time if you know offhand, but I understand if you ignore my asking since the info is surely readily available).

Recommended torque for actions screws and the bolt handle hex screw?

I'm going to recommend never working on any gun or adjusting any gun screws unless you are an experienced gunsmith. Forgive the typos and misspellins, thanks in advance for your responses, I still haven't fired the rifle yet, and won't do so until I'm completely confident and knowledgable in all aspects of its design and fuction.

Thanks!! :D

Basic Member

Re: Centerfeed Blind Magazine Questions and a few other ignorant questions

There is only one way to load it. Push the rounds straight down through the feed lips. The feed lips are made from spring steel and are designed to be loaded that way. Trust me, you will never wear them out.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    There is only one way to load it. Push the rounds straight down through the feed lips. The feed lips are made from spring steel and are designed to be loaded that way. Trust me, you will never wear them out.
    Wonderful. Thank you sir. Exactly the answer I was hoping for. ;D

roadkill46

had same issue, but once the mags spring steel 'learns' how to spring, loading becomes easier. they are stiff just like any new mag springs are. good post though.