Thread: The Savage website shows...

tropicmaster

The Savage website shows...

The model 12 VLP available in 1:9 twist as a single shot, & 1:7 OR 1:9 as a repeater. Is this right? If you want to shoot the 80's or 90's you are going to have to buy a repeater? Maybe the website is not up to date, but I dont have a local savage dealer I can ask. I guess if you want the 7 twist you either get a repeater or build it yourself from one of Jim's actions.

Basic Member

Re: The Savage website shows...

The LRPV has the option of a single shot, 223 with a 1:7 twist. But yes to my limited exposure, the 1:7 comes only in a repeater in the VLP.

Basic Member

I bought my 7 twist as a repeater then bought a single shot with a 9 twist and switched the barrel then sold the repeater with the 9 twist to recoup some money.

hank440

IF you want something different than the repeater with the different twist just call Effie Sullivan at the Custom shop and she will hook you up no problem. All you have to do is call and ask ;D

1 800 370 0708 ext 6 ask for her by name if she is with another customer leave your name and number and she will call you back

Uncle Mike

But why have to order a 'custom shop' unit when the barrels clearly exist?

I think Savage's engineering department has issues concerning twist rates!

I can understand the 'forced marketing' with offering one unit different fome the other same model, but if you look, Savage has goofed with several of their twist rates in various calibers.

The 'older' Savage's had the 'correct' twist rates and were phenomenal accuracy wise, why the change!?! I mean, if it ain't broke...don't fix it, right!

tropicmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mike
    But why have to order a 'custom shop' unit when the barrels clearly exist?

I think Savage's engineering department has issues concerning twist rates!

I can understand the 'forced marketing' with offering one unit different fome the other same model, but if you look, Savage has goofed with several of their twist rates in various calibers.

The 'older' Savage's had the 'correct' twist rates and were phenomenal accuracy wise, why the change!?! I mean, if it ain't broke...don't fix it, right!
    That was pretty much what I was asking...just did not want to sound petty. Why would repeater versus single shot have anything to do with twist availability? If you are marketing a rifle as a " long range " platform, and offering .223 chambering, you should have the means to get it to long range ( heavier bullets, 7 twist ) . Just did not, and does not make any sense to me. I decided to go around the problem by building a repeater from a SS action, and putting a 7 twist aftermarket barrel on it.

sinman

I say get the action and stock you want and then add barrel of choice weather it be factory or aftermarket, that way you have your rifle. I wish all rifles had the choice of coming as just barreled actions and maybe a seconded box that had 6 or 7 extra barrels in it haha.

tropicmaster

Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    I say get the action and stock you want and then add barrel of choice weather it be factory or aftermarket, that way you have your rifle. I wish all rifles had the choice of coming as just barreled actions and maybe a seconded box that had 6 or 7 extra barrels in it haha.
    I wish they all came with the option of a stocked action. I am not a big fan of factory barrels even when they are offered in appropriate twist rates!