Thread: E Receiver compared to NON E Receiver ??

savagem12

E Receiver compared to NON E Receiver ??

Hi I am looking at a 17 HMR I found one that is a NON E Receiver and one that is a newer E Receiver. I have the option to buy either one. Which one would be the better way to go? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Is one better that the other? Does the newer E Receiver have improvements over the other? Also, I noticed that the newer E Receiver barrels are straight they do not have the step in the barrel like the older NON E Receivers. Is one more rigid than the other?

Thanks

shelbyfan

Re: E Receiver compared to NON E Receiver ??

If you are going to just shoot either will be good, but if you are going to "mod" no one is building much in the way of aftermarket for the older style anymore.
    They probably got rid of the step to save on manufacturing

jdg

After wondering the same thing, I called Savage, and they told me the new E reciever uses a threaded barrel compared to the old style pinned barrel. They certainly look better, and on Budsguns, $70 cheaper than the old gun.

Hylander

Quote Originally Posted by jdg
    After wondering the same thing, I called Savage, and they told me the new E reciever uses a threaded barrel compared to the old style pinned barrel. They certainly look better, and on Budsguns, $70 cheaper than the old gun.
    The Barrels are not threaded, they are double pinned and they did away with the step down barrel.
    Also the new receiver is about .5" longer

jdg

Quote Originally Posted by Hylander
    The Barrels are not threaded, they are double pinned and they did away with the step down barrel.
    I guess Savage don't know what their talking about, don't supprise me any....

Hylander

I'm thinking they thought you were talking about the barrels that are threaded for a muzzle break.

jdg

I'm thinking they thought you were talking about the barrels that are threaded for a muzzle break.
    I actually asked them the difference between 2 models that looked identical, and he told me the e-reciever....And then explained to me what that was. I talked to someone that was obviously not a gunsmith, but at least told me the difference in the recievers, elbeit not all totally correct. This is my thread about the two models
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,44415.0.html
    Guess I should have went to rimfire central, instead of Savage on my question....They have a great comparrison thread on the differences.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=307435

Hylander

Yep;
    Just about anything you will ever want to know about Rimfires can be found on Rimfire Central

Ben Dover

Guess I should have went to rimfire central, instead of Savage on my question....They have a great comparrison thread on the differences.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=307435
    I think it is a sheer numbers of population thing, but RFC has been very helpful to me as well. I didn't get the exact answer to the question I asked, but I did get an answer...

This place has it uses too.