Thread: 5.7x28mm - the modern Hornet?

Salvo

5.7x28mm - the modern Hornet?

My son picked up a piece of 5.7x28mm brass at the range the other day, and when we got it home I lined it up with a piece of 22 Hornet brass for a comparison:

( Click image to see it bigger )

Less case capacity perhaps, ( a water test would tell ) but it operates at a higher pressure.

I wonder how it stacks up to the Hornet - and when will the 17 caliber wildcat, which will look like a scaled-down .223 Winchester show up?

My guess is that the modern case will take more reloads before giving out, and it may be slightly more efficient than the Hornet.

If the 5.7x28 factory loads are not cheaper than 22 Hornet ammo already, they soon will be as this round is popular with the black gun shooters - who go through a lot of ammo.

You don't run across a lot of free Hornet brass, but you can obtain a lifetime supply of good 5.7x28 brass just by bending over and picking it up at the range. The stuff with the three or four-point military primer crimp intact are all once-fired brass.

Besides resizing, you'll need to buy a little tool to ream out the primer pockets, removing the crimp. Not to worry though, as the little tool will soon pay for itself. - After that, it's all gravy.

The Savage model 25 in 5.7x28mm is -

Can somebody give us a range report, or a reference to a review on the Savage model 25 in 5.7x28 ?

Basic Member

Re: 5.7x28mm - the modern Hornet?

there is a wildcat .17 called the velociraptor made from this round that looks really cool.

Basic Member

It would make a sweet .20 cal too

Eric in NC

Initial reports I have seen are less than impressive with regard to the FN brass (thin). After other makers pick it up, maybe it will get better.

Got word from Savage today that they're dropping the 5.7x28mm chambering from all models due to poor accuracy results in testing. Basically they couldn't find a twist rate that would shoot factory fodder worth a hoot so they're not going to put them into production.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

Maybe they can screw some .221fb barrels on them and get to production.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by appleseed
    Maybe they can screw some .221fb barrels on them and get to production.
    +1 221 would be great.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious
    Got word from Savage today that they're dropping the 5.7x28mm chambering from all models due to poor accuracy results in testing. Basically they couldn't find a twist rate that would shoot factory fodder worth a hoot so they're not going to put them into production.
    FN uses 1 in 9" ... savage is unable to duplicate FN?

Eric in NC

They can make the 9 twist and do - but the rifling profile might be different, the longer barrel might throw it off due to higher velocity, or they may expect better accuracy than FN does.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    They can make the 9 twist and do - but the rifling profile might be different, the longer barrel might throw it off due to higher velocity, or they may expect better accuracy than FN does.
    if savage cancelled the 5.7x28 due to accuracy issues then the 5.45x39 is most certainly doomed as well. commercially available 5.7x28 is consistent and precise, commercially available 5.45x39 (basically all military surplus) is not.

time to shop elsewhere i guess... :-\

xr650rRider

Buddy has an 14" Encore barrel made by Match Grade Machine in 5.7x28 and its very accurate. I've reloaded 200 rounds or so for it using 40 grain ballistic tips.

Basic Member

maybe someone can make a custom savage barrel for 5.7x28 ...

Basic Member

Pac Nor has it on their build list........
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Basic Member

The 5.7 is between the WMR and Hornet ballistically. It is only slightly closer to the Hornet. That being said, I had an 18" barrel for a T/C Encore that shot wonderfully and the rou d was capable of cleanly killing groundhogs to 175 yards (furthest shot I took). It would be an excellent 150 yard walking vermin cartridge. Price is running about $10 less per 50 than Hornet ammo, so even those that don't reload can save $ and have almost the same effect on biological targets.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. ... Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.<br /><br />Thomas Jefferson

409impala1

had the 5.7x28 bug hit me and bought an upper for an ar-15 that i had, i was unimpressed with the accuracy as well as effectiveness of the cartridge, the fn57 pistol however was a lot of fun, not much for reloading stuff out there, though.