Thread: Stuck case removal

rangerjoe2

Stuck case removal

If you've been reloading for any length of time then I'm pretty sure you've gotten a case stuck in a sizing die at one point or another. I'm also pretty sure that most of use have seen or used RCBS's stuck case remover, which works really well, most of the time...

I recently got a .220 swift case stuck in a new RCBS FL sizer die. I tried to get it out with the RCBS stuck case kit, but it was so stuck that the draw bolt pulled out the threads in the back of the case. Typically, at this point I would have gotten out the angle grinder and taken my frustration out on the die, instead I just walked away. My maintenance guys at work suggested that I go to the next size higher tap, coat the base of the die and case with sodering flux, and apply a smidgen of heat (just enough to get the flux flowing). Well I did as suggested and the case came out very easily. The last time I had a stuck case, 10 years ago, I ended up buying a new die because I couldn't get it out so this gives me hope that if in the future I can't get one unstuck, I have an easy solution.

I thought I would share this in the event someone else has a similar situation.

Joe

oosickness

Re: Stuck case removal

ya i use that method as well! This is a great article on case removal
    http://ultimatereloader.com/how-to/r...stuck-case-hd/

I ended up buying a new die because I couldn't get it out
    LOL, my 308 "new" die just came in, I upgraded, just gave me a reason to do so, FL neck bushing die!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

Send the die back to RCBS. They will remove it and most likely give you a new die. They did on my 30-06 dies a couple years ago. Their stuff is lifetime guaranteed and they are fantastic about it. I also had the handle break off my powder pan for my RCBS scale. Sent a new one right away.

Team Savage

Throw the stuck case and die in the freezer overnite. The brass and die metals will contract and expand. The case will usually pop right out.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

rangerjoe2

Good stuff, thanks guys.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie
    Throw the stuck case and die in the freezer overnite. The brass and die metals will contract and expand. The case will usually pop right out.

Heck that's always worth a try. Free and easy is always good.

Team Savage

And it's even better when the stuck case comes out. ;D
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

dacaur

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie
    If you are going to do this, make sure to use a frost free freezer!

I got a 9mm stuck in my sizing die due to using the wrong shell holder (a .308 shell holder wont pull a 9mm out of the die, who woulda thunk it?) My first thought was to raise the ram and insert the shell holder into the ram and shell at the same time, but the decapper was in the way, so rather than take that out, i figured I would be lazy and just pop it in the deep freeze behind me and wait, since I wasn't actualy reloading when it happened, I was just showing the press to my dad, who was impressed for the first 10 seconds until i tried to show him how it works and got the case stuck, lol....

Anyway, I took it out a few hours later and it was covered with frost, the shell still didn't want to come out, and rather than wreck the rim with pliers I decided I would just pull the decapper and use my first idea, which worked fine.... but when the frost melted, it left surface rust on my dies :'( not a lot, but enough to be noticeable... I got 99.9% of it off pretty easily, and it doesn't look like there is any actualy inside the dies, but still, something to be aware of....