Thread: Suggestions for target scope for Axis 223.

iHuntTargets

Suggestions for target scope for Axis 223.

Hi all, newbie to rifles here ... after much research I bought an Axis in .223 with the packaged Bushnell 3-9 scope. I do only target shooting from the bench at 50, 100, and 200 yards. (Mostly 100.) So far I'm really happy with the rifle, getting 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a different scope for the rifle. I think I want something with target turrets to make it easier to move between 100 and 200 yards. I would also like a scope with a high enough magnification to be able to see my hits on a target at 200 yards. (I'd like to avoid having to carry and set up a spotting scope at the range.) I think an adjustable objective would be a good idea, though I'm not sure I fully understand what that's for ... I believe it's so that I can have a clear target AND reticle at various ranges. The scope I have now has no adjustment for the objective, so I assume it's only going to have no parallax error at a fixed range, such as 100 yards.

Finally, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money ... maybe $250 or less ... and I don't want the scope to outperform the rifle.

Does such a scope exist? I've read about Simmons 44 mag, and Vortex Crossfire ... they are available with 21x or even 32x magnification, with target turrets and AO, in my price range. Would they do the trick? Again, I just shoot at the range, not into hunting.

Thanks for any input!

dcloco

Re: Suggestions for target scope for Axis 223.

After reading multiple times over the last several years about these scopes, I finally bought one. I have NOT mounted and shot a rifle with this scope yet. Late last night, I did check how the light gathering and clarity performed in low light conditions. To say I am impressed....well, that is an understatement. There is also a $20 mail in rebate on top of the sale price. I would not hesitate on buying a couple more.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=746570

These are the minimum rules on any optics (use the manufacturers website for exact info):

1 - MUST SAY "fully multicoated lenses" If those words are not stated, move on to another brand.

2 - Eye relief - more is better. On variable scopes, the higher quality the lenses are, the longer eye relief will be.

3 - Warranty - in my opinion, if a lifetime warranty is not provided, move on.

4 - Reticles - etched glass reticles are the best....period. Only high end scopes have these.

The rest of the possible options - side focus (more moving parts internal to the scope, but nice to have), target turrets, etc, etc.

My dream scope:

Fully multicoated lenses
    etched glass reticle of the tactical milling, varmint hunter (both Leupold) or NPR2 (Nightforce) (all in MOA = inches - NOT MIL)
    fast adjust rear eyepiece (this is not scope focus - this is adjusting each scope to YOUR eyesight)
    front adjustable objective or side focus - I am on the fence on this one
    Target turrets, 1/4" moa adjustment
    100 MOA verticle adjustment and 50 MOA horizontal

....and a price around $300-350

iHuntTargets

Thanks for the suggestion! Though it looks like it doesn't have target turrets ... is that right?

r29l20

Check out Mueller, they should have something you would like.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by iHuntTargets
    Thanks for the suggestion! Though it looks like it doesn't have target turrets ... is that right?
    Correct. There is aftermarket available.

Problem is, it is very hard to find all of the options/reticle/etc/etc...and still be able to afford the scope.

If you are just shooting paper, you don't need turrets....they are just nice to have.

iHuntTargets

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    If you are just shooting paper, you don't need turrets....they are just nice to have.
    Hehe ... very true. Really, anything I buy for target shooting, whether it's the rifle, a scope, or ammo ... it's all just "nice to have". It's not like killing paper targets is going to feed my family. :)

thomae

Check out the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical mil/mil scope:
    Ok, not adjustable AO, but mil/mil and with a fixed 10 power, it is powerful enough, although it has very good light transmission, I don't honestly know if you will see your .223 holes at 200 yards, there is certainly enough elevation and windage adjustment, and with the mil-dot scope you can hold over without adjusting the target turrets if you so desire. Clear optics and within your price point.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=950843

That's my suggestion and that is what I am going to mount on my axis as soon as I get the one piece (probably EGW) base (it is too short to use a 2 piece base and rings).

All the best,
    Thomae

iHuntTargets

Quote Originally Posted by r29l20
    Check out Mueller, they should have something you would like.
    Yeah, they do seem to have some scopes that have what I'm looking for ... thanks.

Anyone got any opinions on Mueller?

dcloco

Personally, I don't like M brand - they are heavy and the optics are not that great for the price you pay.

Unless you have previous experience with Mil/Mil, you might want to stick with MOA (inches). Why complicate things. Every target you use will have inch squares.

Search this sight - there have been several threads about reasonably priced scopes that provide quality and options.

Have you considered/looked at the Vortex line of scopes? Good value for the money and the customer service is excellent.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67