Thread: 7.62 x 39 deer loads

thomae

7.62 x 39 deer loads

1. Was wondering if anyone had thoughts on what direction to go with 7.63 x 39 loads (using .308 bullets because it has a savage .308 barrel) for my deer rifle (10 FCM scout). Have other rifles, but thought I'd try something shorter with iron sights this year here in the woods of Pennsylvania.

2. I have some S&B 123 grain softpoints I purchased for the brass. Anyone know how they perform on game?

3. Any thoughts on heavier bullets? Am thinking that slower heavier might be better in the woods.

Just wondered if anyone out there had any opinions ( ::) ok, I almost typed that with a straight face!).

I also read some interesting information about subsonic rounds in this caliber. Makes me want to "play around" a bit. ;D:
    http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/762ProjectRifle.html
    http://www.ebr-inc.net/762x39JackhammerSubsonic.html

Eric in NC

Re: 7.62 x 39 deer loads

Check and see if the S&B bullets attract a magnet (steel jackets).

Most folks I have seen use 150 grain bullets designed for the 30-30 for best results - open up at the slower velocity.

thomae

Good point. Never thought to check until your post. Yup, magnetic, so they must have either steel cores or jackets.
    Scraped/dug hard on one bullet with my knife and it was still brass, so I believe they have steel cores, not steel jackets. Is that so bad for hunting? Not sure, but don't want to waste a deer, so I guess I'll shoot them at paper and then work on the reloads for hunting.

I have a bajillion 150 Grain bullets
    - Combined Technology Partition Golds, both Moly and Moly-free
    - Combined Technology Fail Safe
    - Hornady SSTs, GMX, & A-Maxes

Don't have anything specifically designed for the 30-30, but can certainly obtain some if needed. I'll do some research and see if what I have will open up at the lower velocities of the x39.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I guess it's time to get the dies and get to work!

M.O.A.

the sst or the patition cold non moly will work so will the gmx but im not much on going green ;D buy the way the steel cores are not aloud at ranges around here so you might want to look in to that

MrMajestic

125 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip in a Lapua case filled with AA1680 and ignited by a match primer. Keep shots within 300 yards, also in the boiler room, and you will be eating Venison sweetbread for supper.

110 or 130 Barnes TSX should work.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

thomae

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.
    :)

SN13

They are not steel CORE. They have a soft Steel jacket. Honestly Guys, S&B SOFT POINT? With a steel core?

Next, Do not shoot 7.62x39 (.311 bullets) through your .308 bore gun. Just don't do it.

Third, a soft point through both lungs is going to kill a deer much better than a gut shot with any fan-dangled bullet (I'm not old, but I think alot of the bullets are fan-dangled). Whatever load you decide to use, make sure you practice with it and can adjust for ranges. That being said, out to 200yrds the 7.62x39 isn't so bad (Arch) as long as you have a decent Zero (150yrds+)

Anyway, have fun! Be safe!

thomae

FWIW, I'm not trying to raise any hackles here.

So, today I pulled a S&B cartridge and cut open the bullet. I found that it is steel jacket with a lead core. I had scraped the copper coating earlier with my knife and it was still copper colored (I misspoke in my earlier post when I said "brass") after I thought I had gone rather deep, so that was why I thought it might have been steel core with lead on top of it. I sit corrected.

The powder inside was about 20 grains of a nice spherical ball power. I spilled a little so the exact measurement is unknown. I measured 18.8 grains, but am assuming something closer to 20. It is in no way a full load in the case. You can hear the powder rattle if you shake the loaded cartridge.

I have a lot of 30 caliber bullets on hand, so I will use what I have first. My biggest problem is getting the time for load development. So I guess I'd better get off the computer!
    All the best,

SN13

I just don't want mis-information getting around.

Every range I know of thinks that if a bullet is magnetic, it has a Steel Core Penetrator in it...

Honestly, the mild steel jacket of a 7.62x39 traveling as slow as it does (relatively in the rifle world) does no extra damage to a steel target than Copper jacketed 7.62x39... The REAL issue is when ammo like WOLF .223 with the steel jacket moving at 3300 FPS+ out of AR's hits steel. They CAN cause a bit more damage. But just because something is magnetic, does not mean it's going to punch holes through steel targets.

anomad

Quote Originally Posted by SN13
    They are not steel CORE. They have a soft Steel jacket. Honestly Guys, S&B SOFT POINT? With a steel core?

Next, Do not shoot 7.62x39 (.311 bullets) through your .308 bore gun. Just don't do it.

Third, a soft point through both lungs is going to kill a deer much better than a gut shot with any fan-dangled bullet (I'm not old, but I think alot of the bullets are fan-dangled). Whatever load you decide to use, make sure you practice with it and can adjust for ranges. That being said, out to 200yrds the 7.62x39 isn't so bad (Arch) as long as you have a decent Zero (150yrds+)

Anyway, have fun! Be safe!
    Would you believe, plain old cast boolits have been used to kill game?

Eric in NC

Ok so I started the steel jacket thing (I never said steel core!). Didn't say anything about them causing damage to targets or anything (BTW - most ranges don't like steel because of fire risk caused by sparks - not because of penetration or target damage).

Even though the S&B bullets are "soft points" the steel jacket just won't open up like the softer copper-alloy jacketed bullets and tends to shred and loose the core very easily.

And yes game has been killed with cast bullets. Have done it a LOT myself. Penetration and caliber are the important things there (got to let air in and blood out) and the 7.62x39 has neither. Cast bullets for deer in a 44 mag or 45-70 - sure, great choice.

Of course lots of game animals have been killed with FMJs too and we all (almost) would agree that those aren't a good choice (unless you are going for brain shots on elephants with your 7x57).

Good old 150 grain softpoints designed for the 30-30 will work great for deer in the 7.62x39. Won't get 30-30 velocity but still good enough for whitetails at open sight ranges.