Thread: Help with moly.

r29l20

Help with moly.

How can you tell if you got all the moly out of your bore? I shot 70 rounds of Hornady 55 gr. moly .223 ammo, out of a new barrel, and cleaned with Hoppe's bench rest after about 20 rounds at a time. Now I want to switch to non moly bullets. So I cleaned with Bench rest, then flitz, then PB blaster penatrating oil, then back to Bench rest, to get the moly out. With a bore light the barrel just gleams inside, but I still don't know for sure if it's all out. Again how do you tell, and will it hurt if it's not?

Re: Help with moly.

...well, why do you want it out?
    One of the purposes(in theory at least) of moly is to coat the bore, to continue to provide its benefits.
    One cleaner should be just as good as another, just use a brush rather than patches; if you really want to get something out.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

r29l20

OK, I cleaned the moly off the bullet itself with Flitz, and it came right off. I cleaned another one with Bench rest, and it came right off. So am I right in assuming it's that easy to get it out of the barrel? Or does moly take on another property after being fired? Please, First hand knowledge answers only. I can come up with my own theories.

thomae

According to Midwayusa's fact sheet, http://www.midwayusa.com/content/legacy/moly_faq.htm, it can be inferred that cleaning with bore solvents removes the moly from the barrel.
    "How do I clean my firearm without removing the Moly?
    Running a dry patch through the bore should remove any fouling; most of which will be carbon fouling.
    If cleaning with a bore solvent is desired the bore will need to be recoated with Moly. This is accomplished by firing 15-30 fouling shots with Moly-coated bullets."

Just curious: did you like or dislike the performance of your moly bullets?

r29l20

Performance was great, I just wanted to try heavier match kings. The ones I have are not moly coated. I've herd the horror stories, of cleaning after moly, so I thought I'd check with the forum before proceeding.

r29l20

I must be the only one that ever did this. ???

racinready300ex

I wouldn't worry to much about the stories, just give it a good cleaning and don't worry about it.

thomae

FWIW: It's very easy to coat your own bullets with Moly. A lot less expensive than purchasing pre-coated bullets.
    All you need is a vibratory cleaner. (An extra bowl or two makes it more convenient, but is not strictly necessary).

If you are interested, I have some extra Midway Technical Grade Moly powder I would sell you.

Here is a link to their instructions on how to use it (or just about any moly powder) to coat bullets.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/content/leg...structions.htm

All the best,

r29l20

I'm trying to get rid of the moly.