Thread: Performance increase from barrel swap?

Basic Member

Performance increase from barrel swap?

I currently have a factory stock 111 in .308 and was looking into getting a Shilen barrel in either Varmint or Bull contour for it at the same time as I order a new stock (probably McMillan since its a lefty and not many people make stocks setup for that). My question is, as long as I'm doing my part and shooting the good stuff, how much of a difference would I see out of this change? Right now I can get right around 1.2 MOA on a nice day out of my rifle.

rivermud

Re: Performance increase from barrel swap?

Night and day. If changing the barrel then possibly the stock, you are changing the two biggest factors in how the rifle performs. Next would be load development.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rivermud
    Night and day. If changing the barrel then possibly the stock, you are changing the two biggest factors in how the rifle performs. Next would be load development.
    Good to hear. Is there a measurable difference as in closer groups or what? Also I'm already reloading my ammo for this one so I guess I'll have to work up new loads for the new setup

thomae

The other factor that is important to accuracy is the nut behind the trigger. Send me the rifle after you mod it and work up a new load, and I'll change that for free.

;D

Basic Member

both replies are right on the money , but i have got .25moa out of all my savages out of the box with load development, 1/2 is unusuall most shoot better if factory ammo then I understand