Thread: go-no go gauges, where to buy

jpowell

go-no go gauges, where to buy

Where to buy or what to use in there place. Can I use a fired shell as a gauge.

jinx-)

Re: go-no go gauges, where to buy

Midway, Graf&Sons or try PTG website, you can probably rent them just like reamers. Fired cases, you could with some tape in the back and epoxy inside...

Cycler

I got mine from Midway but there are other sources too, Grafe & Sons for one. Since I shoot a .243 Win and a 7-08 Rem all I need is one gauge for both and it will also serve for 308Win, .260 Rem and .358 Win.

lmb7784

I know there are ways to use a fired case, but I'd recommend you just shell out the $50-60 for the go, no-go gauges. I also purchased mine from midway.

Jackpine

Sinclair would be worth checking as well.

noelfr

Depending on where you got the fired shell it could possibly put you into a danger zone. You could possibly use an unfired factory round as a seating point for your bbl but go guages are just not that expensive and peace of mind and continuing physical health are worthy things. A no go guage can be faked w/ a thin piece of tape on the bottom of the go guage. Be careful.

jpowell

I want to say thanks for all the help, spent some time today looking up head space gauges. I understand now, that I can buy one that will work with several calibers. I was worried that i would need one for each individual caliber. I don't plan to do many of these, but I have said that before.

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by jpowell
    I understand now, that I can buy one that will work with several calibers. I was worried that i would need one for each individual caliber. I don't plan to do many of these, but I have said that before.
    That's true but the rounds have to share the same basic case. Examples are .243 Win, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 Rem, .308 Win and .358 Win are all based on the .308 Win case so they take the same go and no-go gauges. The family based on the 30-06 case (25-06, 270, 30-06, etc.) also share a go, no-go gauge set.

If you look through the listing of these gauges on the Forester or PGT web sites for the cartridges you want to use, look for the same part number for the other you are considering.

Basic Member

I don't know about the other folks here, but I only buy a go gage. By setting headspace to zero off a go gage and tightening the barrel nut, you are adding a couple of thousandths to zero for a snug chamber. A go gage can be used to check for excess headspace by adding a layer of tape to the base of the go gage.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox
    I don't know about the other folks here, but I only buy a go gage. By setting headspace to zero off a go gage and tightening the barrel nut, you are adding a couple of thousandths to zero for a snug chamber. A go gage can be used to check for excess headspace by adding a layer of tape to the base of the go gage.
    +1 Thats exactly how I've done it every time.

+2 on "LHitchcox's" method.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67