Thread: ER Shaw quality?

Basic Member

ER Shaw quality?

What can I expect if I purchase an ER Shaw barrel? I've been wanting to get a 260 barrel and one of the vendors on the site has a good price on them. I am concerned that I will be disappointed with the groups from the ER Shaw barrel. I know some on here like them...IMO they just don't see to be up to par compared to Shilen, but I'd like to hear from those that own ER Shaw barrels.

I wouldn't mind spending the $112 to try one out, but if it's not going to shoot under 1MOA, I'd rather just shell out the extra money for a Shilen or McGowen.

CaptnDan

Re: ER Shaw quality?

I have several Shaw barrels and, I think, some of my Adams and Bennett barrels were made by Shaw. You are right, they are not Shilen or McGowen barrels but then they cost a bunch less. Generally, mine have been a bit rough but most of them have shot quite well. I think I have gotten nearly all of them to shoot sub-MOA but some took quite a bit of fiddlin' to get there.

Hope this helps....

CaptnDan

aubie I have experience with 2 Shaw barrels and both have been good. I own a 24 inch varmint taper in 243 that has been great. The best 100 yd group I have shot so far is .091 center to center. My Son has a 257 Weatherby that will shoot bugholes. I would say from my experience you should be satisfied with Shaw barrels.

Basic Member

Thanks for the replies...it is tough to pass up on a $112 barrel...especially since I have been wanting to get a 260 so badly, but I'm still leaning toward putting the extra funds towards the McGowen...seems that they have some ready to go on their website.

seanhagerty

Where is this $112 barrel?

Basic Member

check out the gun shack in the paid advertisers
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

airaddict

ive talked to jim from NSS about ER Shaw barrels when i called to order a model 12 action. i told him i jumped on the 22 cal group buy barrels from gunshack to get a 22-250ai and he told me to not expect much out of them. he said he considers them "better than factory and thats about it". i do take his advice like gold since hes the expert and im not!

its doesnt matter to me to much. im not in it for one inch groups at 1000 yrds. im a tinkerer and am trying out my first wildcat. maybe when and if i do get into competitions, i may spend the money on better barrels but for now im happy w just being able to sling lead down range and being able to down mr. whitetail or piggy out to 400yrds. and the occasional shoot at my gunclub which r very informal.

i know u get what u pay for so i dont have high expectation for a super cheap barrel. i just like to shoot!! :)

brian

you know, factory savage barrels seem to be pretty good so if its better than factory i think it would be well worth the money. if it shoots an inch at 100 yards that will still kill most anything your aiming at and at a third of the cost of a shilen i think its worth a chance
    mdl 12 .223, bvss/"bondo" stock, completely polished,devcon bedded, sig zee rings, 36x40 leupold

airaddict

XJ,

That was my experience with my model 16 factory barrel with factory brake in 308. I could easily keep 1"-3/4" at 100yrds. Which is more than enough for deer sized game or even the occasional turkey or pig. I firelapped mine w plain bullets when i bought it new and i neverhad any problem with copper....at all! I guess i am one of the lucky ones cuz i read so many stories that are to the contrary.

Brian

Team Savage

I purchase a 24" SS .260 Shaw barrel with 1:9 twist several months ago and had it cut to 22" and topped with a target crown. I've played with several different powders I already had (RL-19, H4831, H4350 and Varget). I've tested 120 gr Barnes TSXT, 125 gr Nosler Partition, 129 gr Hornady SST, 130 gr Berger VLD and 140 gr Sierra bullets. Every powder and bullet combination I've tested would shoot sub 1" groups with the OCW for that powder and bullet combination. I settled on H4350 since it proved the most consistent with all bullets tested, and and 130 gr Berger VLD's touching the lands because they shoot slightly better than the 129 gr Hornady SST. With 44 gr of H4350 and the 130gr Berger touching the lands, this 22" Shaw barrel gives me a MV of 2870 fps and 0.6" 3-shot groups at 100 yds from a cold barrel. The barrel cleans up as easily as the McGowan and Shelin barrels I own and quicker than most of my Savage factory barrels. I'd have no problem recommending a $112.00 Shaw barrel for a hunting rifle. If you are looking for consistent sub 0.5" shooter, then a custom barrel may be the better choice. I'm going to test some H4350 and 130gr Accubond loads this weekend just to make sure I haven't missed finding the magic load! Then I'll start counting the days till deer season. ;D

Eric in NC

Agree with others - they certainly aren't match grade but they are a tremendous value for the quality you get at that price. I would rate them a half step above Savage factory barrels but then you can get them in so many chamberings/twists/contours that Savage doesn't offer (anyone up for a 18" 8x57 sporter or a 26" varmint contour 30-06?)

caroby

Basic Member

I think I am going to get a McGowen or Shilen, so I have been happy with the results. I am a precision nut, so I feel that I will be disappointed in the level of performance that I am looking for in my barrels. If I am going to get into a new caliber, I want to make sure it's up to par since I am considering dumping the 308 and going with the 260.

I figure once I invest in bullets, new powder and dies to set up...I should just get a good barrel and be done with it.

Basic Member

Well I bought one in 243 win 26" s/s 1:8 twist varmint contour. I'll post my results on ER shaw barrel. I plan on shooting 105gr amax's.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515
    I think I am going to get a McGowen or Shilen, so I have been happy with the results. I am a precision nut, so I feel that I will be disappointed in the level of performance that I am looking for in my barrels. If I am going to get into a new caliber, I want to make sure it's up to par since I am considering dumping the 308 and going with the 260.

I figure once I invest in bullets, new powder and dies to set up...I should just get a good barrel and be done with it.
    +1, If you are a percision nut, a custom barrel in .260 with 1:8 twist should give you the long range performance you want. And you'll be money ahead, instead of trying to get the Shaw barrel to shoot bung holes as I have done.

Advertiser

For those of you still looking for a 6.5 ER Shaw sporter barrel for $112, we still have the following available. The barrels should be in later this month.

(1) 260 Ack
    (2) 6.5 Creedmoor
    (2) 6.5/284 Norma

CaptnDan

[/quote]

instead of trying to get the Shaw barrel to shoot bung holes as I have done.
    [/quote]

WHAT do you shoot??? ???

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by CaptnDan
    instead of trying to get the Shaw barrel to shoot bung holes as I have done.
    [/quote]

WHAT do you shoot??? ???
    [/quote]

Page up to my earlier post.

Isn't a "bung hole" bigger than a "bug hole"?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard57
    Isn't a "bung hole" bigger than a "bug hole"?
    guess it would depend on if it is the bugs or someone elses.......roflmao :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Tracer

I shoot a .260 Remington, a 6.5/06 and 6.5/284 Norma. The .260 has a Hart barrel, the 6.5/06 a McGowen barrel and the 6.5/284 is hooked up with a Lilja barrel. They all shoot tiny little groups at 100 & 200 yards. The 6.5/284 has done under 5 inches at 800 yards.

Basic Member

I am sure hoping for a 30 cal, 24" heavy sporter contour as the next group buy. I think the group buy price point is good, standard pricing is too close to the criterion pricing, even after the price increase.

I want to replace my 30-06 barrel and it will be carried a lot, so I dont want the varmint weight barrel. This is not too common of an offering in the classifieds.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------