Thread: Model 24v series B

Basic Member

Model 24v series B

I picked up a Model 24V series B (30-30/20ga) yesterday as an impulse buy. I've kicked around the idea of getting one but this is the first one I've seen in good condition in 30-30/20ga for a decent price ($300). Now I just need to decide what I'll do with it. ;D I'm thinking that it'll make a great walk about combo this fall.

My question for you folks who have some experience with this model is what sort of performance should I expect from the 30-30 barrel? Are there any concerns about strength? I don't know how old the gun is, but the serial number is C156*** which seems low. It locks up tight, I just don't know what to watch for in this setup or how strong they are. I'm more familiar with Contenders/Encores in the break open guns and I know their limits.

Andrew

bigkelly

Re: Model 24v series B

I've got one also and I'm very happy with the performance--I've been using the hornady leveraction 30-30 series ammo in it and feel it works just fine--also I'm tring the remington accerator sabots and just need to work out the ballistics as it relates to the 30-30 scope settings
    come by 24savage.com for more info on 24's

It was made in 1976.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member

Thanks Mad Dog. Since it's only from 1976, is there any significant collectors value to this gun? I'd like to trim the stock down a bit and give it to my dad, but I don't want to start hacking up a collectors piece. It's in nice shape but it does have a couple of handling marks on it.

BigKelly, I'll head on over to 24savage.com and check it out. Thanks.

Andrew

CheckSix

I had only two problems with my 24 V: misfires from a light hammer strike and a 37 pound trigger. (Well, it probably wasn't over 12 pounds, but it was durn heavy!)
    Savage 24.com showed me how to fix both problems. It is now 100% reliable and the trigger is about 4.5 pounds. :)

Basic Member

The white knuckle trigger pull was the frst thing I noticed. I pulled the trigger out and cleaned and greased it, and that helped a bit. Then next step will be taking a stone to it.

Andrew