Thread: 6BR Is For Real

Basic Member

6BR Is For Real

Got my 6BR CBI barrel from Jim this week, and the reloading components arrived yesterday. Installed the barrel on the el-cheapo Stevens 200 action, and loaded a quick 10 rounds using popular recipe with 100gr Berger Target VLD and 30gr Varget. After sighting in, shot my best personal best group of 0.2" right off on a windy Irene day. Clearly this round is indeed a shooter and will enable me to focus more on my shooting skills with a proven package. If you're undecided you need to get one!

noelfr

Re: 6BR Is For Real

Welcome to the club. 105 g hornady match work real well too.

I wish I would have started off with a 6br . . . . I wouldn't own so many guns!!!!!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieNC
    Got my 6BR CBI barrel from Jim this week, and the reloading components arrived yesterday. Installed the barrel on the el-cheapo Stevens 200 action, and loaded a quick 10 rounds using popular recipe with 100gr Berger Target VLD and 30gr Varget. After sighting in, shot my best personal best group of 0.2" right off on a windy Irene day. Clearly this round is indeed a shooter and will enable me to focus more on my shooting skills with a proven package. If you're undecided you need to get one!
    All I can say is wait untill you get a 6PPC. The 6BR is a great cartridge at 600 and 1000 yards, but for close range you will not beat a 6PPC.

jinx-)

I shot my 6br CBI barrel which I got last week, but I put it on right bolt left port target action, so far at 300 yards it grouped 0.75" 0.8" and @ 100 I had one group 0.098" few 0.1" and many 0.2's still working on load for it, but surely it likes 95gr target VLD, 105 gr A-Max and 105 gr Barnes MB. If you planning to use 87gr V-Max you can skip them, best I got using those 0.5"@100

Is the 6mm BR and the 6mm Norma Br the same thing?

jinx-)

Yes 6mm BR is 6mm Norma, but there is also 6mm BR Remington its neck is shorter, also there are 2 kinds of 6BR one with tight neck and not so tight...

Basic Member

This week will work on a few loads to try next week-end at longer distances. This was my first experience with Lapua brass; it is clearly higher quality workmanship than the cheaper stuff and hopefully it will hold up for more loads too. I read the 6PPC neck-size dies also work fine on the BR; may order one along with the A-Max bullets to play with too. For the 6BR installation, pulled the 22-250 barrel so now I obviously need another action! Sure wish Academy would have another $176 sale like earlier this year when I bought only one.

Basic Member

You guys are killing me!! My 6br CBI barrel should ship from jim next week!! I can't wait to get brass and dies to get started shooting it!!
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

jinx-)

here is few 100 yards groups
    [img width=511 height=450]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6077/cbi6mmnorma11.jpg[/img]

[img width=519 height=450]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2783/cbi6mmnorma17.jpg[/img]

[img width=465 height=450]http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3105/cbi6mmnorma16.jpg[/img]

[img width=443 height=450]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8533/cbi6mmnorma10.jpg[/img]

and 300 yards

Patrick, are you trying to talk me into a new gun? 6PPC, distance: up to 300yds or whats the range?

My 6br, 26" 8 twist heavy, SSS Savage action, McGowen barrel.

I was doing a ladder test, started out out the bulleyes (that's why you see one lone shot at bottom), move the reticle up 1 MOA, middle group, bullet on the lands. Very top group was .015 in the lands, it would have been perfect, but I pulled the one off shot! I have shot several groups like the top one with this load, this is the only picture I have.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae56/Dennis4437/DSC06932.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

6 BR are great I have 2 of them on savage actions and another round you may consider someday that is just as much fun is 30BR the website 6mmbr says this round can surpas the 6 ppc but the 30br is not for group shooting is used in Varmit for score great round, I wish I had more time to shoot group i would like to have a 6ppc

jinx-)

I don't want to jump this thread, but I've heard some good feedback on 6x47 Lapua, had anyone tried them?

Basic Member

oh yeh 6.5x 47 L is a good 1k round they say over at 6mmbr won some big events from what i read but 6mm br still most popular for 600.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by jinx-)
    I don't want to jump this thread, but I've heard some good feedback on 6x47 Lapua, had anyone tried them?
    O' YEA it is the Cats meow! I love the 6x47 lapua, and if it was not for one factor I would not even consider the 6mmBR, and that is brass cost. 6mmBR Lapau brass is about $75-80 bucks a hundred, 6.5x47 Lapua brass, (What most people use for 6x47L) is up over $100 per 100. If you think of it this way every piece of brass cost $.25 more.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by frank1947
    6 BR are great I have 2 of them on savage actions and another round you may consider someday that is just as much fun is 30BR the website 6mmbr says this round can surpas the 6 ppc but the 30br is not for group shooting is used in Varmit for score great round, I wish I had more time to shoot group i would like to have a 6ppc
    Well the 30BR is not just a varmint for score round, it also shoots well in group. Jackie Schmidt came close to setting a new group aggregate record with a 30BR. The 30BR will shoot groups as effective as a 6PPC, but it original conception was to shoot score matches, with it size getting it closer to the x mark. The 30BR is s fine round, but I don't think that it replaces a 6PPC. The recoil of the 30BR is almost miserable in a 10.5 LBS light gun, most guys that shoot them competitively have them as heavy guns 13.5 LBS. The biggest problem with the 30BR is getting bullets for it. Randy Robinette was so far behind after Jackie's record attempt, he is just now getting to be unburied with orders, the biggest problem for him and other bullet makers was getting jackets. The 30BR is a great round, but people are not flocking to it as much as the PPC, and many the ones that have tried it are going back to the PPC. The increased recoil, and lack of bullets is what is killing this round. IMO it will never replace the 6PPC.

jinx-)

Patrick, is this true 6mmBR Norma brass is not that good, because I bought Norma brass at first and I didn't notice anything unusual, it was good brass, but they guys were telling me that Lapua is the only way shoot 6BR. The only difference what I noticed were primer pockets, on Lapua brass they are deeper and my small primer pocket uniformer won't reach its bottom...

82boy

Patrick, is this true 6mmBR Norma brass is not that good, because I bought Norma brass at first and I didn't notice anything unusual, it was good brass, but they guys were telling me that Lapua is the only way shoot 6BR.
    Nope, I would have to disagree with the guys telling you that Norma brass is the only way to go. I know a guys that has had one heck of a time with Lapua brass in 223, and prefers Nosler hands down. I have found that the Norma 6mmBR brass preforms very well, the only problem is it cost a bit more. The flash holes a slightly bigger in the Norma brass than the Lapua brass. Some of the best groups I shot out of my present 6mmBR brass was shot with Norma brass that I opened the flash holes up to standard flash hole (.075) In all reality there is good and bad in everything. The 3 aforementioned name brands ALL make excellent brass.

Now in a 6mmPPC I would only prefer Lapua 220 Russian brass. I just dont like premade PPC brass.

jinx-)

I see, thank you Patrick! Good thing I didn't throw them away, now I have more brass to play with :-)

82boy

I see, thank you Patrick! Good thing I didn't throw them away, now I have more brass to play with :-)
    O if you still want to throw them away I would gladly dispose of them for you.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    O if you still want to throw them away I would gladly dispose of them for you.
    ME TOO!!! ;D
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

Basic Member

82boy brought up a good name (Randy Robinette ) not only does he make some great bullets , just got mine 2 wks ago .308 118gr and 6mm 105gr, he was one of a group who speerheaded the 30br most use what isw called the Robinette reamer for slow twist 1/17 and 18 with no freebore for 110 to 125 bullets and he is a great guy to talk to his knowledge is over whelming, I have not had a chance to load the 6mm yet but will soon for a match in october but his 30 cal man oh man I was breaking in my 30BR at 200 yards and with the speer 125 TNT and Berger 115 I was under 1/2 moa but no where good enuff then the BIB bullets came, I loaded 40 rounds with 33gr of H4198 one of Randy's loads listed I started at jam point of 1.685 then ended at 1.665 in .005 intervals, measureing from ogive to head of case, 5 shot groups at 200 yards the 1.665 came in at.381 of an inch or .181 MOA thats what I was looking for under 1/4 moa, I believe wth further development we might do better, next will it group like this consistantly? time will tell, my 6mmbr has shot .19? best, but is consistant at 1/4 moa, also got some cheeks bullets have not loaded yet. for Randy's bullets you can call 515 438 4010

6br, 6x47L, and the 6.5x47L are all good.

The 6br is fun to shoot, kinda like the ole 223, but more accurate!

Do a search, you will find tons of info.

Look for MDM posts, he has some fantastic threads!

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Patrick, are you trying to talk me into a new gun? 6PPC, distance: up to 300yds or whats the range?
    The 6PPC is very accurate at 100,200 and 300 yards, but it can go farther and still keep up. Last month a friend of mine shot a new local club 5 shot record group at 400 yard with a 6PPC, it measured under an inch. (.972 if I remember right.) It was shot from a 1 in 14 twist bartline on a Panda. Early this year I saw a fellow shoot a Factory Sako 6PPC USA at 600 yards, he shot a couple of 4 inch 5 shot groups with it, shooting 68gr bullets. In the past I have talked with another fiend of mine, and he said he has shot game in Africa with a fast twist PPC. He claimed it had velocities similar to a 243 win. (I kind of question that.) This guy is a top name Bench rest shooter, so who am I to question him.