I am in the process of constructing a bolt lift kit for my Axis .223.

First of all here's how I did a multi-bearing lift kit for my 10 FCM. Please look at posting 3 under the following thread:
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,44198.0.html

Now the Axis/Edge bolt lift kit is functionally identically, but also slightly different due to the difference in bolt construction. The Axis bolt is slightly different than the 10/110 bolt: The BAS is not flat on the end like the Savage 10/110 BAS, but is recessed, so that the firing pin spring actually goes up inside the BAS and contacts it internally (on a recessed flat surface).

The outer diameter of the bearing should be less than about 10mm or .396". The inside hole for the firing pin has to still be approximately .25", so the closest bearing from Avid would be the 5 x 10 x 4 bearing. I don't have one of these, so I don't know if the outside diameter needs to be reduced or not. The inside diameter needs to be increased to fit the firing pin.

{Edit: I DO need to get the smaller bearing because the bearing cage is too wide for the diameter needed and I really don't want to mess with that piece. I'll let you know what happens when I get the smaller bearing.}

Perhaps there is another source for metal bearings that would fit without modification, but I have not found it. If you know of any other/better source, please let me and everyone else know.

I am not complete with this lift kit as I purchased the 5x12x4 bearings and don't know if I can get them small enough and not damage the races. I may need to purchase the smaller size.

Oh, by the way, my very first mod was to smooth the end of the Firing pin spring so it didn't "dig" into the BAS. This made bolt disassembly much easier.

Comments? Suggestions?