Thread: modifying an Edge/Axis

MWalker

modifying an Edge/Axis

I don't have an Edge/Axis so I do not know anything about these. I was telling my buddy to buy a Savage cause of the ease of modifying. He was considering an Edge/Axis for the price but had asked me if it was possible to do a barrel swap on them as you would do with a Savage 10/110. Can the same tools be used from the 10/110 to do barrel swaps on an Edge/Axis?

jmason

Re: modifying an Edge/Axis

Yes those tools will work. You won't find too many other things that interchange.

skidly

do barrels have same threads on axis short action as on a model 10 ? And can you put a competition trigger on axis ?

thomae

You can put an aftermarket trigger on the Axis, but not specifically a "competition" trigger. If you wish to shoot competitively, the one shortcoming of the Axis is that to the best of my knowledge, there are no aftermarket stocks available yet.
    To be a competitive shooter, you will need the appropriate stock for your discipline. The Axis may not yet allow you to do this.

Can you do a barrel and bolt head swap on an Axis? Yes. It is easily done by an individual using the standard small shank Savage barrel and barrel nut.

Can you do a trigger job on an Axis? Yes. It is not very difficult to tweak the trigger yourself so that it is a good crisp hunting trigger with no appreciable overtravel.

Can you purchase aftermarket triggers for the Axis? Yes. Rifle Basix ($85)and Timney ($105) both manufacture aftermarket triggers.

Can you purchase aftermarket stocks for the Axis? To the best of my knowledge, not yet.
    However, I am confident that as more and more Axis owners request aftermarket stocks, they will eventually become available.

Is the Axis an extremely accurate out-of-the-box hunting rifle at a very reasonable price point? Actual owners/shooters of this rifle generally say Yes.

jrmakowski

I have been told by 2 seperate smiths that the barrel swap is pointless as they were the same barrel (less differant lengths) ???

If you're swapping a factory barrel for a factory barrel, then yes...the gunsmiths are correct. All Savage's centerfire barrels come off the same line/machines and are built to the same spec (large or small shank, length and profile being the only real variables).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Yes, Boyd's is making stocks for the Axis now...

Basic Member
    I have a pepper on my 30-06.

Basic Member
    But will probably switch back to the plastic stock when I put a 270 barrel on it.

Basic Member
    Working towards a lightweight field gun.

Quote Originally Posted by brian697 View Post
    Yes, Boyd's is making stocks for the Axis now...
    You do realize this thread is from 2011, right?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain