Thread: VLP stock/bull barrel

Basic Member

VLP stock/bull barrel

Can a laminated VLP stock be safely rowled out to freefloat a bull barrel? Would any strengthening be necessary? I expect to coat the affected area with poly urethane for sealing.
    VLP 22-250<br />VLP 243<br />Stevens 25-06<br />Stevens 308, now a 6Norma BR with Criterion bull and Bobby Hart LRT<br />Savage Model 10 243<br />93R 17HMR<br />an old Savage model 5 22 tube feed bolt action<br /><br />And they all shoot great.<br />Also several off-brand stuff

Re: VLP stock/bull barrel

Not that much difference between a varmint barrel and a bull, use a 1" dowel and sand paper and go slow so as not to end up uneven.You will not have to reinforce the stock there won&#39;t be much strength loss. I have done a few from sporter to varmint and have not had a problem.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

gotcha

Froggys advise is good & he has lots experience w/ after mkt stocks. The bbl channel on my vlp is slightly wider than the smallest dia. of the bbl nut. So there&#39;s a good chance you won&#39;t need to relieve the channel at all The vlp is a VERY nicely made stock. I recently bought a Stocky&#39;s Lam. & wished I&#39;d bought another vlp. ............... More expensive but one H--l of a lot less work. My vlp did require that the tang needed to be clearanced in order to "float". Hope this helps, Dale

gotcha

OOPS ! My bad. Should have said STOCK needed to be clearanced to allow "float" at tang. This is what happens when I get too much Vodka in my tang ::) Dale

1Shot

...A bull bbl. works just fine...1.055 dia. ...223...

[img width=600 height=449]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/sqek/TN.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

That&#39;s great news to hear, now one less excuse to ordering that barrel. Thanks guys.
    VLP 22-250<br />VLP 243<br />Stevens 25-06<br />Stevens 308, now a 6Norma BR with Criterion bull and Bobby Hart LRT<br />Savage Model 10 243<br />93R 17HMR<br />an old Savage model 5 22 tube feed bolt action<br /><br />And they all shoot great.<br />Also several off-brand stuff