Thread: Stevens 200 in a .223 loading issues

fratri

Stevens 200 in a .223 loading issues

Hi there, I have a stevens 200 in a .223, it is a top loading magazine, I notice that most times after the initial shot or even when I am just practicing recycling it, it does not pick up the next round. I open the bolt quickly and sharply and a lot of times the next bullet does not come forward, the bolt passes right over it, I have to push the front part of the bullet down in order to raise the rear (primer end) up so the bolt catches it. Anything I can do about that? I have tried several times to load with bullet tip down but it does not always work. Anyone else having an issue like this? Frank

Re: Stevens 200 in a .223 loading issues

I have had the same issue. I was informed by members here that it could be related to the magazine box hieght in relation to the bolt. The fix was placing a small piece of wood on the bottom of the magazine and hitting it with a hammer. This pushed the magazine up just enough so the bolt will pick up the rounds. This is all done with the action out of the stock. If you hit it to hard and it goes to far up just try to hit lightly from the top without bending the lips until the bolt closes. Hope this helps.

fratri

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1
    I have had the same issue. I was informed by members here that it could be related to the magazine box hieght in relation to the bolt. The fix was placing a small piece of wood on the bottom of the magazine and hitting it with a hammer. This pushed the magazine up just enough so the bolt will pick up the rounds. This is all done with the action out of the stock. If you hit it to hard and it goes to far up just try to hit lightly from the top without bending the lips until the bolt closes. Hope this helps.
    But isn't my magazine box an internal part? When I take my stock off isn't the magazine built right into the stock? Not sure if I am following you, if you can shed more light, please

Basic Member

fratri

I have a .223 Stevens and "have" the same problem, it may be from stripping the rifle down for complete cleaning when it was new or from the factory or shipping and handling which caused the magazine to "drop" downward. As soon as I read the post I tore the rifle down to take the photos below.

Below are photos of the bottom of the receiver and the magazine, the red arrows are where the forward part of the magazine rests or touches the bottom of the receiver. The white arrows are where the magazine lips are tapered to fit "inside" the receiver magazine opening.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP7532-A.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP7540.jpg[/img]

Now look at how far up and down the magazine can move or drop away from the bottom of the receiver. The magazine needs to be "up" and inside the 1/8 step cut and touching the bottom of the receiver, or failure to feeds will happen.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP7534.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP7535.jpg[/img]

NOTICE: No Savage/Stevens rifles were hurt or injured during the filming of this posting. ;D

Sorry I did not know yours is a centerfeed. I used the hammer on an older staggerfeed where the mag is attached to the action.

fratri

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51
    fratri

I have a .223 Stevens and "have" the same problem, it may be from stripping the rifle down for complete cleaning when it was new or from the factory or shipping and handling which caused the magazine to "drop" downward. As soon as I read the post I tore the rifle down to take the photos below.

Below are photos of the bottom of the receiver and the magazine, the red arrows are where the forward part of the magazine rests or touches the bottom of the receiver. The white arrows are where the magazine lips are tapered to fit "inside" the receiver magazine opening.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP7532-A.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP7540.jpg[/img]

Now look at how far up and down the magazine can move or drop away from the bottom of the receiver. The magazine needs to be "up" and inside the 1/8 step cut and touching the bottom of the receiver, or failure to feeds will happen.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP7534.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP7535.jpg[/img]

NOTICE: No Savage/Stevens rifles were hurt or injured during the filming of this posting. ;D
    Great pictures but I guess I have a staggered feed because the mag is attached to the action. I was just looking at it closely and once the first casing is picked up and ejected out the bolt rides over the second casing... the bullet end of the casing is slightly angled up....... making the rear (primer) end sit lower so the bolt passes right over it...... I have to push the bullet end down slightly so the rear end (primer end)moves up slightly for the bolt to pick it up. What are my options to correct this?

I tried a piece of wood and tapped the bottom of the magazine a bit but looks like it made it worse.

fratri

Well looks like staggered feed, mag stays with the action and spring rests on the stock. I played around with it a bit and looks like it is okay, I will take it out to the range or field in the next few days to confirm. I was loading (practicing with caps) and it was cycling well, hopefully that will continue... thanks for your help and tips, it made me understand what is supposed to be taking place alot better... I am very greatful for all your help...Frank

phantom_geo

:-\

I tried the above (wood at bottom of magazine) but I am still having the feeding problem. If I put 4 rounds in the magazine and cycle the action it is the third round that will not feed. It looks like the third round's rear is sitting too low to be picked up and perhaps a little forward.

It is a staggered magazine.

Any other Ideas?

A weak spring. Take it out and stretch it slightly to increase tension on what is left in the mag.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

phantom_geo

???

I tried that but still have a problem with third round not loading........

Getting frustrated

762X51

The bloom is off the Savage rose for me. I've got a brand new model 16 .223 with a detachable mag and have the same feeding problem; won't pick up the last round in the magazine. I only got into Savage rifles in the last year and bought a model 10 Precision Carbine in .308 as well as the .223 model 16. Until buying the Savages I'd only owned and used a Winchester Model 70 (Pre 64) and a Ruger M77. Both the Ruger and the Winchester are controlled round feed and I've never had a feeding problem from either rifle. Ever. It seems to me that most push feed rifles all have feeding problems to some degree, (the Remington 700 seems less prone though) and to be fair, it's not just Savage. There are certain things that make a Savage rifle superior in some respects to other rifles, like the separate bolt head, the AccuTrigger and AccuStock and most importantly the barrel nut, but if it can't be made to feed reliably then that is a FATAL FLAW I can not live with. I'll probably sell the Savages and go back to controlled round feed rifles. I may be silly but I think a rifle should work when you buy it and that the customer shouldn't have to complete the manufacturing of the rifle. Not bitter just disappointed.