Thread: 22LR Ammo Brands at .224 diameter?

ralphwolf

22LR Ammo Brands at .224 diameter?

My Savage Mk II really likes Paco's 'accurized' rounds and old Lapua Midas L, both at about .224.

I gotta guess that most accurate diameter is a REAL valuable clue about which ammo would be optimal in my (and probably your) gun.
    (Sure, LOTS of other variables apply but Dia seems as BASIC as... say... Velocity (Probably easier to measure, too).

Yet, I can not find any numbers on this measurement.

Which manufacturers (or which 'flavors') of ammunition are at .224 in diameter? Anybody help me find the info?

THANKS!

Ken Rummer

Re: 22LR Ammo Brands at .224 diameter?

Some ammo always shoots better than others, but I never thought to measure rimfire bullet diameters.
    I just checked two brands with my cheapo $10.00 Sears mic's and found a CCI Stinger at .224 and a
    Rem target at .225. Actual diameter may be off but the Rem is definately .001 bigger.

I just joined this forum today and it has paid off in the first few minutes. (My check will be in the mail today).
    I will pay attention to this newly recognized variable and hopefully select better ammo. This may be useful for selecting
    good batches of ammo from not so good. Great topic. This should get results.

I just bought a Savage Mark II, FVXP. Just finished cleaning all the preservative from the bore and am on the way to the
    range

Rifleman51

Re: 22LR Ammo Brands at .224 diameter?

Ammo that matches the groove size is usually going to shoot the best. The better quality ammo that matches, the better the rifle will shoot. If the groove diameter is .222", that is what you look for. Go bigger and it will hurt accuracy, smaller also.
    Buy the best shooting ammo that matches the groove size for best accuracy. You can slug, then measure to find the groove size.
    Do you know your groove size is .224", I'm betting it's closer to .222".

John