Thread: Will my old stock fit a new Stevens action

Will my old stock fit a new Stevens action

Well... my original action off my old 10FP-LE2 is pretty much officially the wife's gun now... re-fitted it w/ a SSS competition trigger, Boyds thumbhole stock in a color she likes, etc. etc. Which leaves me with a perfectly good Stockade Prairie Dog Special stock, complete w/ fore-end rail, Graco adjustable buttplate, Karsten adj. cheekpiece, etc. in need of a new paint job, and a new action. The action that was in it was a ~2005 vintage Accutrigger short action i.e. stagger feed. Am I correct in understanding that a Stevens 200 short action should drop right into this stock? I'm contemplating inletting it for CDI bottom metal... or am I headed down an incompatible path there?

Re: Will my old stock fit a new Stevens action

That depends, is your Steven's 200 SA a Stagger Feed or Center Feed?

If it is SF then yes, should drop right in, if CF then the front action screw hole in the stock will have to be moved.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Good question. I don't actually *have* one yet, I was more looking to pick something up for a winter project....

Moving the front action screw hole in the stock is, as far as I'm concerned, a non-starter. The stock has an aluminum V-block and pillars, and I have no desire to go moving pillars and/or screwing up the fiberglass shell to accommodate a different hole spacing.

How hard is it to find a stagger-feed Stevens 200 - is that what the current production models are, or am I better off just keeping an eye out in the gun stores for an older 10/11/12 stagger-feed model?

r29l20

They have changed over to all center feeds, but there are plenty of new staggered feed guns still around.

Basic Member

Everything made as of Jan 2008 are center feeds. Moving the pillar in that stock is a real b!tch. It would be easier to find a stagger feed.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by r29l20
    They have changed over to all center feeds, but there are plenty of new staggered feed guns still around.
    +1

There are still new SF units out in the shops, but you have to look and they are disappearing. Used ones can be found with a little looking, watch the classifieds here, there have been a couple come across the ads in the last several weeks.

Check with Jim Briggs of Northland Shooting Supply and see if he happens to have one.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Thanks for the info on the stagger feed models... I was thinking about it a bit today, and had a 'Doh!' moment

The 'intent' of this build was for kind of a general-purpose 'test platform' or 'shop mule' rig. I.e. one action/trigger/stock/scope, multiple barrels - finally get around to playing with some different cartridges (mostly varmint type) that I've wanted to mess with for a long time.

I've got a 10PC-SR in .308 - that one will probably stay set up as is, as a 'ready rifle', i.e. one that if I want to hunting, a relative shows up and wants to go plinking, or if the zombie apocalypse comes to pass ::) its always set up and ready to shoot, with loaded ammo handy.

My 'target' guns fall into the same category. They stay setup and there is minimal barrel swapping - other than when they are 'done'.

The 10FP action has been - as I mentioned - pretty much designated as the wife's gun. It stays set up, ready to go to the range whenever she feels the urge... ::)

I started adding up the cost of a new action, new barrel(s), new trigger, etc.... and then it hit me. I also have my 12 LRP (6.5 CM) sitting here. Already a Target Action, already large-shank (the main pisser about the Stevens was keeping more different sized actions around), already has a good trigger (Varmint Accutrigger), already centerfeed / DBM, and has a pretty decent stock (HS Prec. + Karsten cheekpiece). Pretty much already set up and ready to add barrels!

Assuming the 10FP shoots worth a dang in the new stock, I may have a nice Stockade PDS up for sale in a month or so. ;D

JCalhoun

Monte;

I like the idea of a shop mule to tinker with. You could probably find a decent used Model 10/11/12/16 in a pawn shop somewhere for a bit less than a Stevens right now. Times are hard and you may be surprised what you'll find.