Thread: Savage Striker

Basic Member

Savage Striker

Just bought a like new Savage Striker with 3 extra barrels 30BR, 22-250, and 243. I have never removed and installed another barrel on a Savage. Can some one show me how to do this and what I need Lou
    A great civilization is not conqured from without,until it has destroyed itself from within. In God We Trust

Re: Savage Striker

Heres a link to the tech articles section:

http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Savage Barrel Swapping

The guy here uses a sized case as his "go" gauge and the same case with paper shims(u can also use scotch tape) as his"nogo" gauge. This works fine if you are familiar with what youre doing, but for a first timer i would recommend buying a set of GO and NOGO gauges for each caliber you have.

You can get the barrel nut wrench and the barrel blocks from Sharpshooter Supply, or you can get a barrel nut wrench, an action wrench, and the gauges from MidwayUSA.

Safety is first, so if you get in the middle of it and are questioning something either have somebody come and help you out, or maybe one of us could talk you thru it over the phone.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

dcloco

Northlander sells the best barrel nut wrench - McRees Precision.

Jim is a sponsor of this site as well.

tinkerer

Action wrench and barrel nut wrench on sale right now at Midway.

Bolt up action wrench to action and lay it on the floor. Take nut wrench and place carefully on nut at about a 45 to floor. Step on action wrench and place other foot on nut wrench and press down. Should be sufficient to loosen. If you need addiotnal power, place action wrench handle in vice and carefully smack nut wrench with lead hammer. Sometimes some penetrant is needed on CM barrels, rarely on SS barrels.

Now all you need is GO- NO GO gages and remount new barrel. Place GO gage in barrel and close bolt and finger tighten and insert nut and finger tighten and tap with hammer on nut wrench, twice. Now remove GO gage and reinstall NO GO gage and try to close bolt, should not go.

Done. If you were near me I could do it for you in about 10 minutes. I'm in Dallas, TX.

Larry
    Tinkerer

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerer
    Action wrench and barrel nut wrench on sale right now at Midway.
    Larry
    Tinkerer
    Link please: I just now looked and only can find them at the regular price.
    Thanks,

tinkerer

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerer
    Thanks Larry,
    When I looked yesterday, they weren't on sale, but now they are! Yay, Hooray!