Thread: cold bore shots?

Basic Member

cold bore shots?

I'm wondering how the masses here set up their rifles....to include or not include the cold bore shot(s)? I have about a 2" difference between cold/warm shots. I know it's no big deal in a Coyote rifle @100yds, but maybe that first shot will be @ 300yds.

Theory #1) I'll always be shooting game on a cold bore, so the first shot is most important. Good theory if I only plan on shooting one Coyote per hunt.

Theory #2) I'll probably shoot more than once, so why not sight in with a warm barrel? Clean rifle at range and fire off a fouling shot before leaving? (this leads to another question)

Theory #3) I like to shoot a lot, and nothing gets me a grin like the .299" group I shot yesterday (well, almost nothing else) That kind of group is impossible including the "fouling" shots. I probably shoot 50 rounds at the range for every shot I take hunting.

So assuming that everyone sees a difference between warm/cold....fouled/non fouled bores, what do you do??

Is my 2" (@ 100yds.) difference due to a cold/warm bore, or a fouled/non fouled bore?
    This is probably the biggest question I have.

FYI... Shooting hand loads with AA2230, Win brass, Nosler 55gr BT, FPS is 3100. Rifle (#10 PH) will shoot under 1/2MOA with this load....if I do my part. Is there something in my load that I can change to lessen the effect of cold/warm - fouled/non fouled discrepancy?

Thanks for any insight the neighborhood ballistic experts can offer up.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member

Re: cold bore shots?

I'll take a stab at this even though I am by no means an expert ... (this works for me though)

Work up your load pre-season with all cold bore shots.

I.E. shoot one round, let barrel cool.

Shoot next round, let barrel cool.

Repeat ...

Barrel may require 5 to 10 rounds to foul and shoot consistent small groups.

Do not clean barrel for the entire hunting season.

I.E. foul barrel at the range until rifle is shooting consistent cold bore shots.

Leave barrel fouled all season.

How many times are you going to fire at one or more coyote?

Hopefully it takes more than one or two shots to heat up your barrel such that the groups open way up.

If one or two shots make that big of a difference, you may have a bedding problem ...

Basic Member

Try something other than ball powder. I used to use the same load with 50 BT's, and it was a tack driving load. I had the same problem, but not quite as radical, maybe an inch difference from the first shot. This was fine for prairie dogs, but not for coyotes. I went to Varget and the radical first shot went away. I think it has something to do with the deterrant coating on the powder.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

dcloco

Sharpshooter has it right. Different powders and different coatings and different temps....and...and.

So, try to control the things you can.

I do agree with not cleaning a barrel. I have a 300 WM that does not start shooting good groups until round 9-12. This barrel LIKES a dirty bore. :)

Another thing that has helped, after cleaning barrel, wet a patch with rubbing alcohol, blot with WS2, and swab the bore. Let dry until you shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    Try something other than ball powder. I used to use the same load with 50 BT's, and it was a tack driving load. I had the same problem, but not quite as radical, maybe an inch difference from the first shot. This was fine for prairie dogs, but not for coyotes. I went to Varget and the radical first shot went away. I think it has something to do with the deterrant coating on the powder.
    +1

I run Varget in my 22-250, 6BR, 243, and 308 almost exclusivly for hunting loads and almost in all my target loads. Have not had to deal with warm vs cold bore shots with Varget.

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    I do agree with not cleaning a barrel.
    +1. Almost all of my Factory Savage barrels like it a little dirty.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

irondog54

For me, it's about reducing variables. 1. Never hunt with a clean bore. Need to clean? Plan a range day to foul your bore. keep a log and record what your gun does. 2. After cleaning clean bore and chamber with denatured alcohol. Wet bores mess with accuracy. 3. Experiment with seating depth and neck turning to minimixe differences between fouled cold bore, and warm fouled bore shots. 5. Expect differences between cold fouled and warm fouled shots make sight changes. A cleaned unfouled bore means that you haven't re-checked your zero at the range. Go again the next day after fouling day and log a cold bore... leave fouled. Go hunting. No shortcuts.

M.O.A.

+ one more for the varget my point of impacked doesnt change mutch at all if any from cold to hot dirty to fouled. :-\ just got to love that powder ;D

I'm experiencing the same thing with my 204 Ruger. The cold/clean bore shot will impact 1/2" to 3/4" away from where the remaining four shots will group. After the first five rounds, it settles down and shoots nice groups. I'm using H4895 with a Sierra 39gr SBK. I now season the bore with five fouling shots before group testing and the flyer is eliminated.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

davemuzz

I clean my .223 and my 22-250 once a year......if they need it or not! ;D Both shoot the same when the barrels are fouled....but when clean, they need to be shot about 3 times before they shoot consistent groups.

BowElkStalker

What do you guys mean "dirty". After shooting do you just put the gun in the safe or run a dry patch or oiled patch down the tube? Maybe I am cleaning my .243 to much and that is why I can't get it to shoot?

davemuzz

I shoot it and when I'm done....unless I somehow got caught in a downpour, the gun will be put in the gun safe for the next outing. I may apply some CLR to the action or the outside of the barrel.....but I do NOTHING to the inside of the bore.

I will give the bore a good scrubbing 'n cleaning at the end of a varmit season, and run a heavy patch of CLR down it when I store it for the next varmit season.

But....once the season starts, the bore doesn't see a cleaning patch until the end of the season....or unless I get drenched in a summer storm.

Dave

I do pretty much the same as Dave describes. I don't usually clean unless doing barrel break in or if accuracy falls off a bit, and I just wipe down the outside of the gun with oil and put her back in the safe until next trip.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

bowhunter42

I must be lucky, My 116 300 win shoots the same impact, with a clean cold bore, cold dirty bore or warm dirty bore. I did bed the action and I do turn the necks on all my brass, and I am shooting Berger Vld's and 4831Sc powder. but it prints the shots the same spot no matter what condition the bore is in. I usually clean it about once every other week or so, But I do shoot ALOT. It shoots 3 inch groups at 600 and can usually hit a milk jug filled with water the 1st shot at 800 yards if I do my part right.

BowElkStalker

Looks like I have to get dirty, or at least the barral ;D