Thread: 6br Striker is finally done

Basic Member

6br Striker is finally done

It's behind schedule, over budget, and not exactly what I initially envisioned, but it's done and I like it! ;D

Here's the spec list:
    -Neal Cooper stock (painted by me)
    -Benchmark 19" nitrided, 1-7.5" twist 6mm BR tapered to .90" at the muzzle
    -Savage PTA T&T by SSS
    -Leupold Mk 4 6.5-20x50
    \[img width=600 height=450]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t260/collegekidandy/august2011051.jpg[/img]

I won't have a chance to shoot it for another week or two, but I'm pretty excited about it. I'm over budget by nearly $1000, but a good chunk of that was the scope. I originally planned to have the stock air brushed with a wood grain finish, but it just didn't look right when it was done. So I painted black and then sprayed on a smoke gray finish in between clear coats to give it a smokey, cloud like look. It just isn't showing up well in the pics.

Now to see how it shoots.

Andrew

Re: 6br Striker is finally done

Very nice. I hope to one day build a striker on a target action also. But, I don't have that kind of jack to get all the goodies you have.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1
    Very nice. I hope to one day build a striker on a target action also. But, I don't have that kind of jack to get all the goodies you have.
    This project just went over board. You could realisticly build one for about $1000 without the optics. It also helps that you kind of build them in pieces. All of the components came in over the course of about 7 months.

Without the cost of the scope, which was actually purchased with a different project in mind, the setup wasn't that unreasonable. To keep costs down you could go with a Savage factory take off or one of the less expensive (but still excellent) pre fit barrels from Shilen, McGowan, Criterion, or Sin Arms that the sponsors here sell. Benchmark makes a premium barrel, but they tend to charge a premium price for them.

If you watch the classified section here you can find some great deals. You could probably buy or trade your way into almost everything that you need. Start early and shop smart and you'll have your pistol up and running in no time!

Andrew

dcloco

yorketransport - excellent. VERY nice shootin' iron.

I just purchased a Striker as well. Believe I am going to build a rear grip stock for mine...we shall see.

Purchased two other barrels in the classifieds on this site, so I will have a switch barrel with 223 1:9 twist (now a 223 AI), 243 (original barrel with factory on/off brake), and 7/08. I cut down two sporter barrels. Last night I ordered two brakes to go on the new barrels.

Let me know how much muzzle flip you have. I doubt much with a little longer barrel, rear grip stock, and the Leupy up top.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    yorketransport - excellent. VERY nice shootin' iron.

I just purchased a Striker as well. Believe I am going to build a rear grip stock for mine...we shall see.

Purchased two other barrels in the classifieds on this site, so I will have a switch barrel with 223 1:9 twist (now a 223 AI), 243 (original barrel with factory on/off brake), and 7/08. I cut down two sporter barrels. Last night I ordered two brakes to go on the new barrels.

Let me know how much muzzle flip you have. I doubt much with a little longer barrel, rear grip stock, and the Leupy up top.
    I looked for a factory Stiker before using a Target action, but I had a hard time finding one. The last Striker I found was a 300 WSM that I turned into my 338/375 Ruger. If you don't feel like making your own rear grip stock, try Tony's Forends http://www.tonysforendsandgrips.net/index.html.

I considered having a muzzle brake installed, but they are just so abusive to the shooter on these shorter handguns. Yesterday I was shooting the 14" 300 WSM factory striker barrel with the adjustable brake. It keeps the recoil down, but the noise and concusion are just terrible! The 3 port Muscle brake that's on the 338/375 Ruger reduces recoil better than the factory brake and is less obnoxious to the shooter, but it's still pretty bad. I hope that the long, heavy barrel, rear grip, small caliber, and the over all weight (10# 2oz) of the gun will keep the recoil down enough so that the gun rides the bags well and doesn't need a brake.

Maybe when I get out to shoot it I'll make a video. I still need to make one of the 338/375 Ruger Striker so this would be a good time to do it.

Andrew

dcloco

Thanks for the link.

Brakes are like the lesser of two evils. Recoil.....or loud....you pick.

The 338 RUM that I built HAD to have a brake. There is no physical way to muster the courage to pull the trigger on 300 gr Sierra's at 2950. Your mind WILL take control and say NO to pain. I flinched on round 14....when my padded and jacketed shoulder touched the stock when I was setting in to take another shot. The "pain killer" really does tame a LOT of recoil and is not that loud.

How is the rifle scope going to work? Tunnel vision? :)

yorke I would be very interested in velocity increase with the nitrided 6mm br. I also have one striker and love it. I think the target action and target accutrigger would just be perfect. I also switched from a handgun scope to a Nikon 4x12 prostaff BDC and love it. I just had a hard time getting use to the eye relief on the pistol scope.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco

How is the rifle scope going to work? Tunnel vision? :)
    It takes some getting used to, but they work really well. You want to use the largest objective size and the longest eye relief you can find so that you have the largest possible exit pupil. The larger the exit pupil, the farther back you eye can be and still get the full field of view. At lower powers, you can actually hold the gun at comfortable arms length and still get a full field of view. When I crank it up to full power, I get in close to get a full view, then back out until I'm far enough that I won't get smacked in the face. My 338/375 has a Leupold VX 3L 3.5-10x50 and I can shoot it with about half field of view without worrying about getting hit. I could probably get closer, but I really don't want to test it. I tried a Leupold Mk 2 6-18x40 on there, but at 18x I just had to get closer than I wanted. Even with the brake, throwing 250gr bullets at 2650fps moves the gun pretty good. With the 6mm BR, I'm not that worried about it. There should be minimal recoil and the MK4 has amazing eye relief. I don't know if it justifies the outrageous price tag, but it does help.

Rifle scopes just have better quality glass and more options in reticules and turrets than handgun scopes do. I had a Burris 3-12x pistol scope, but it was dark and had poor contrast compared to even a mid priced rifle scope. Handgun scope still have a purpose and I still have a couple. They stay on the more compact and packable guns like the TCs or revolvers though. Strikers are already big and awkward. A big old rifle scope isn't going to make it much worse. ;D

Andrew

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1
    yorke I would be very interested in velocity increase with the nitrided 6mm br. I also have one striker and love it. I think the target action and target accutrigger would just be perfect. I also switched from a handgun scope to a Nikon 4x12 prostaff BDC and love it. I just had a hard time getting use to the eye relief on the pistol scope.
    I curious about the velocity increase as well. I had it nitride partially to regain some of the lost velocity, and a little just because it looks cool.

Andrew

Basic Member

Andrew, how it is breaking in for you?

Basic Member

I still haven't had a chance to shoot it. :'( I had to work all day yesterday and today I'm catching up on all the stuff I didn't get done because I worked 90 hours last week. >

I still need to try and get out bear hunting as well. The berries are at their absolute prime right now but I'm just too exhausted to get out there and hunt. Sometimes I wish my job were't so busy, but this is better than the alternative of not having enough work. ::)

Andrew