Thread: really easy to seat primers....seated deep....dangerous?

Basic Member

really easy to seat primers....seated deep....dangerous?

I have about 40 pieces of good brass for .270 that was previously loaded with hybrid 100v powder by a friend of mine and had cci magnum primers. I reloaded a few pieces the other day with imr4350 and win large rifle primers and the primers seated with very, very little pressure. They kind of just slipped into place and actually are seated a little deeper than flush. I havent shot any of them yet, and is this something that can be dangerous, or am I overthinking this? I didn't know if the magnum primers are just larger and made the primer pocket a little larger than normal or what.

Soonlobo

Re: really easy to seat primers....seated deep....dangerous?

Not an expert but I would think if the primer is loose you could easily get blowback and that could be dangerous.

davemuzz

I use Win LR primers for all of my reloading. When you seat your primers, they should end up being about .004 (four thousands) below the case end. You didn't mention if you cleaned the primer pockets or not or if it was possible that you had any case lube in the pockets.

I load a bunch of 6.5 Swed's and .223's, 22-250's and the Winchester primers will slide in the brass fairly easy. I don't know what you have been using prior to this.....what brand of brass or what brand of primers, but you may simply want to load up a few low end loads and fire 'em and examine the brass.

From what you have said so far....I'm not terribly alarmed....but I would proceed with some caution...and shoot with quality safety glasses on for sure. (But....you should always do that anyway!!)

If the low end loads work out fine, then work your way up.

MHO

Dave

Basic Member

I have never loaded anything needing magnum primers. Is a CCI mag primer larger than a Win large rifle primer? It just seems that the primer packets are a little oversized or maybe Stretched out....the win primers just seated so easily with the RCBS hand priming tool.

Any, no I didnt do any pocket cleaning and there should be no lube inthe pockets.

You really don't need magnum primers for a 270. I don't even use them in my short mags, 7mmRM, or 300win. I only step up to the magnums when I'm shooting loads approaching 100g of powder.

You may have caused a bit of a hot load with the magnum primers. RW Hart makes a tool to put a small swage on the primer pocket to tighten up the seating.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Werewolf

I was thinking the same thing, the cases may have been shot with a hot load that loosened the pocket a little. I have done the same thing with my 270 and had to back off on the load. The primers will almost slip in and out of those cases by hand. Be careful about using them as a slipping primer may cause a hang fire or light strikes.