Thread: Need advice, Savage rings +base

Basic Member

Need advice, Savage rings +base

I have a Stevens 200 that is basically a Savage round back. It is a short action. It currently wears a Leupold setup but I am wanting to change to a picatinny base with appropiate rings. I am relatively new to precision shooting and wanting some advice.

I would like some suggections for the best base and rings under $100 for both.

I am looking at the McCree Precision extended base. This takes up about 1/2 of the $100 budget. I can go more on the budget if there is a BIG benefit to the extra funds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Dolomite

Re: Need advice, Savage rings +base

EGW is the best choice for a 1 piece on a budget. I'd pair them with Burris XTR rings.

For 2 piece, I really like Burris Xtreme steel bases with Burris Signature Zee Rings.

Both setups are very stout and will be way under your budget.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

mikepos

I used burris tactical 2 pc for my 114 long action, they could have one of the bases cut to avoid projecting into the action but it doesnt look bad and doesn't cause any problems so I havent bothered yet. Flipping the rear base around lets the bolt function fine but just barely touches the top of the bolt and might wear the finish. Started with the burris signature Zee rings and loved them but needed (wanted?) just a bit more eye relief for a bushnell 4200 3x9 so I went to the millet (sp milett ?) weaver extension rings. They aren't finished as nice, and are between glossy and the flat finish I wanted but they work well and don't seem to have left ring marks. The extra 5/8" back did the trick for putting the eye relief right on for my when snapping the rifle up quickly.

Basic Member

Not to steal the post but, sort of have the same question. Which is better 1-piece or 2-piece bases?

Looking at a Savage 22-250 and trying to get all my parts figured out.

Will probably use Burris Signature Zee Rings, probably highs.

Thinking about these Burris 2-piece mounts.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=386926
    or the EGW one piece mount.

They offer them in flat or round rear, but picture looks the same. Not sure what that is in reference to.
    Look for Gods blessings..........they are around everyday!<br /><br />Savage 10fp, 12fv, 93fv, 93R17

One piece EGW&#39;s are nice because you have more choices of where the rings and scope lands.

Burris Xtreme bases are nice because they are steel, half the price of the EGW, and don&#39;t block the port as much.

Can&#39;t go wrong either way.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

If I went with the Burris 2-piece base which Burris rings would I need? Med, High, or Extra High?
    Will be mounting a Mueller 8.5-25x44 scope.
    Look for Gods blessings..........they are around everyday!<br /><br />Savage 10fp, 12fv, 93fv, 93R17