Thread: Convert regular action to short mag???

Basic Member

Convert regular action to short mag???

What do I need to do to convert a standard Savage action to use short mag cartridges? I know the bolt and barrel swap, but isn't there something about the ejector? How is the fixed ejector mounted and can this even be done?

Re: Convert regular action to short mag???

Are you using a short action or a long action?

The short action stagger feed WSM actions had a CRF style bolt head with a standing ejector. The short action center feed actions used a regular push feed bolt head with a standard spring/plunger ejector.

Long actions used the regular bolt head and ejector on everything. I've built a few WSM's on long actions and they've worked great.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

I gotta dispute the ejector info. I currently own a 300wsm centerfeed with CRF head and standing ejector. It is possible to have both centerfeed and the controlled round feed head with standing ejector. Just don't want anyone to get the idea that just because is CRF that it must be staggerfeed.

Basic Member

I was hoping to use a short stagger feed action.

Basic Member

You shouldn't really need the CRF and ejector. The plugger style should work for you. I think you just need a magnum bolt head (plunger if that is action you have) and find a barrel. Might take some tweaking to feed from the mag. Also keep in mind factory WSM actions and barrels tend to be large shank. You'll have to order yours in a small shank if you use the more common actions.

Team Savage

If I remember right you need a push feed bolt head and all the parts, a magazine and a firing pin assembly.
    SSS noted the firing pin assembly but I am not sure why the regular one would not work.

Its not really practical to convert a push feed rifle to a control feed as the action would have to be milled
    but the other way round works.

IE I have a control feed magnum action that I now have set up as a push feed 270 win with a plunger ejector.

Quote Originally Posted by rinodods
    I gotta dispute the ejector info. I currently own a 300wsm centerfeed with CRF head and standing ejector. It is possible to have both centerfeed and the controlled round feed head with standing ejector. Just don't want anyone to get the idea that just because is CRF that it must be staggerfeed.
    I guess I should have stated "generally". If you've been working on Savages for very long you'll know that nothing is set in stone. The factory often builds guns like Johnny Cash built his car. With whatever parts they have left when they switch models.

There are small shank RUM's, small shank CRF's, large shank barrels with no step, round back actions with flat back handles.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Oh the fun of tweaking the old savage! ;D