Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice - elk hunt

Basic Member

Advice - elk hunt

I always get a lot of good feedback from the forums on this site and I trust a lot of the advice I get. So I really need some help here if you folks have a minute.

I am finally able to plan my first ever elk hunt in the fall of 2011 and do not have anyone close to me that has ever taken an elk or even been on a hunt. This has been a huge dream of mine folks and I can hardly tell you how excited I am. I got to thank God first for giving me this golden opportunity…

I have settled on a gun, 325 wsm and am having a stockade stock put on it and will be sighting it in hopefully starting in April when I finally get it back. I reload, so I hope to iron out a good load. Not sure this would have been my caliber of choice, but I got such a good deal on this gun (16fs stainless) for $405 tax and all and I was told this would be adequate for Elk..

My question to you folks is how do I go about setting this hunt up, who to contact and where..?

I have searched for guides, but I don’t know anything about this. My experience has been that if you do not really know what you are doing, you usually don’t get the best deal. I am an avid whitetail hunter with my current setup of nice savage 270 wsm mounted in a boyds stock. I have a 4 x 12 50mm scope and have taken a couple of deer 300 yards. Would not have shot these deer at closer range because they were under my specs, but I needed to feel confident about my shooting at that distance. I have read that some elk shots could be around 400, so I will scope up my rig and set up my reloads for that. I have read about the 500/600 yard elk shots, but at my age, not sure I can even see that far.

Please give me any advice you can. Like I said, I have never been and not even sure how to set something like this up..

If you want, please email me at wal0001@yahoo.com.. (wal with three zeros and a 1)…

Thanks in advance everyone…

Cover Dog

Re: Advice - elk hunt

I'm 57 and I don't think I will be going on anymore hunts that require 12+ hours in the saddle each day. You don't feel it until late in the day and the next morning when you try and get out of bed. A few hours a day is not bad, but we would leave at 430am and return at 730pm.

We were hunting south of Jackson Hole. Went back in 17 miles from the trail head. I was very glad I connected the opening morning, but my partner took 3 days to fill his tag. Then it was off to eastern Wy. for Mule Deer and Goats.

Your gun choice is fine, I used a Win. Custom Shop 358STA w/250gr. A-Frames.

Take plenty of coolers for meat storage, you can buy dry ice just about everywhere.

Elkbane

Wal,
    It's kind of hard to do this for the first time by yourself unless you get into a "group" that's done it before, or else hire an outfitter and he puts the group together. You basically need to decide if you really want just a mature bull or if you really want a trophy class bull. Using an outfitter can help as he can advise you on the license draw procedures in teh states he hunts. Expect higher price for trophy or horseback hunts than DIY hunts (which would almost definately require a group that's experienced). Most really good areas either require repeated attempts to get a license draw or are on private ground and a re really expensive.

I've hunted in central WY, central NM and western CO. each have their plusses and minuses. Our group prefers to keep the cost down to reasonable levels and have a decent chance at a decent bull, but it's unlikely we'll shoot a real monster where we hunt. We hunt on mostly private ground adjacent to a national forest. We pay the owner a tresspass fee for the use of his land and stay in a ranch house on the property. He provides a cook, food, and a campjack (not a guide) with a truck/4 wheeler to help get game out of the woods. We hunt the property on our own, providing our own transportation. Turnkey all-in cost for this type of hunt runs about $3k-$3.5k including airfare and truck rentals (we rent a truck to hunt out of). Expect to about double that for a guided hunt with 2 hunters/guide. Triple it for a trophy hunt and it may take a few years to draw a license.

You can PM me if you'd like and I give you a few pointers and a few pitfalls to avoid. You need to get on with it becasue most of the state license application lotteries start receiving apps in January.
    Elkbane

Basic Member

Your best chance of obtaining a license is to hunt in Colorado. It is the only state to still offer over the counter elk licenses. Other states have are better known for bigger bulls but Colorado has the most. Here in New Mexico you can purchase landowner tags from outfitters but the cost can get high. The best units can take a few years to draw if you go that method. Once you decide which state you would like to hunt I recommend getting in touch with an outfitter and they will be happy to answer many of your questions. I can also answer any specific questions you might have. I have guided in both Colorado and new Mexico.

You might want to join a club or hunt brokerage group. I've heard good things about these two.

www.shoshonewilderness.com

www.huntinfool.com
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Depending on where you live, you may be able to hook up with a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation chapter. They have local banquets/events and an annual convention called Elk Camp. Loads of outfitters, guides and all devoted to elk.

Here's a link: http://www.rmef.org/AboutUs/ElkCamp/

But be careful - elk and the country they live in is habitforming........ :D
    12 FLV 204 Ruger

FatherOfGnute

I've lived in WY and CO my whole life, and have been hunting pretty much everything around these parts, for most of that time.

Colorado is affordable and easy, if you want to go DIY. Lot's of Elk, OTC Bull tags and usually lots of leftover cow tags. That said, the bulls tend to be less mature, unless you have loads of preference points and draw one of the trophy units - I'm guessing thats not the case. But if you want to get the experience and perhaps some mighty tasty elk flesh out of the deal, the CO is a great option.

Wyoming is a bit pricer and all Non-Res is draw. There are some big bulls in ol' Wyo and they aren't all in Jackson Hole, the eastern units are churning out some hogs as well! If you go DIY in one of the western units, be advised that there are a fair number of Brown Bears in most of the areas. Also, non-residents cannot hunt wilderness areas without a resident guide. I always hated that rule, but there ya have it.

Hiring a guide is probably the cleanest route, I've never had the pleasure of going on a guided hunt, but if I had more money than time, I'd do it in a second. No camp to setup/take down, all the heavy lifting is done for you. But... that may be half the "fun". Your call, but I think a DIY hunt in either state is doable - probably easier in CO, though. There are a number of outfitters that will do a drop camp style hunt, where they provide all the camping gear and horses to get you in and out, but you do the hunting on your own.

The NUMBER ONE thing that I will tell you is to GET IN SHAPE! You will be hunting 10000 feet +- 2000! If you are coming from sea level this will be dramatic. The only thing you can do is try to get into the best shape possible. I spend more time in the gym than I do at the range by a very wide margin!!!! Cardio, cardio, cardio! Horses help, but you will most likely need to hunt on foot. You don't need to be able to run a marathon, but you need to get accustomed to hearing your heart pound in your ears.

Your choice of rifle will be fine. You see all kinds of stuff out there. The guys that I know that hunt the foothills and high plains in late seasons tend to like the flat shooters. As you get up into the timber, you start seeing more of the magnum and big bore stuff. Elk have a pretty durable will to survive and escape - I guess some would say that makes them "tough." But lots of them are killed with a bow and arrow every year - that's 400 grains at 250 fps and double digit KE!

I think if you want a new rifle, then that is all the reason you need! :) :)

If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me and I'll help in any way I can.

Basic Member

Thanks guys.. it will have to be a guided hunt. I would love to DIY this, but right now I don’t have the knowledge. The hunts I have looked at are anywhere from 6k on up and that seems pricey, but not sure.
    Colorado would be fine for me, I am not picky and am not looking for huge at this point. I do have a couple of guys that have been mentioned to me that might guide me themselves. I have emailed them and have not been contacted about price. Anyone know of an individual or guide service they recommend, I would appreciated it..
    Thanks and God bless.!

Basic Member

I'm from Wy and this year I took my 27th elk, 21st bull. I grew up in Wisconsin and I know what it's like to be a rookie elk hunter.
    Will try to give you a few tips in this small space.
    The .325 WSM is not just adequate it is near ideal.
    Your .270 WSM will work just fine, too. Use premium well constructed bullets fairly heavy for the caliber. Do not skimp here.
    Forget about the 500-600yd shots, 300 is a long one.
    You've hunted deer, think of elk hunting as deer hunting X 4, in almost every facet. And you can do it yourself.
    Don't hunt in really severe rugged Mtns, look for more mild terrain with meadows, etc.
    Use creative thinking to identify spots that are overlooked or bypassed by other hunters. Sometimes good spots aren't that far from the road. Find saddles, travel lanes, escape routes, with topo maps and even Google Earth.
    Be very careful when "scouting", do not spook them out of the country. Do it from high vantage points overlooking the places you suspect harbor elk.
    Use the other hunters to push them to your chosen spots. But you must be there at the very first shooting light. This means traveling in the dark. This is the #1 secret to taking most of the elk I've shot.
    Give some thought how to retrieve the meat. Elk are big!
    Any legal elk is a fine trophy, don't get hung up on shooting a monster. It doen't happen very often, even for the most experienced locals.

Elkbane

Wal,
    Here's two contacts I've hunted with:

Bob Atwood at bluemountainoutfitters.com in Belen,NM
    Gene Carrico at outwestsafaris.com in Rawlins, WY

Both are great guys and can help you sort out what you want to do. Both have web sites and offer a variety of hunt options and they are straight shooters.
    ELkbane

I have shot a grand total of 9 elk. 2 of them bulls, 7 cows. Only one was shot over 300 yards, and it was just under 350. Most were shot well under 200 yards. Don't get too hung up on the idea of a "long shot". My preferred rifle is my 338 Win. I shot one bull with a muzzle loader, 1 bull with a 30-06, 1 cow with a 375 H&H, 1 cow with a 45-70, and the rest have been with the 338.

The 300+ yard shot was with the 338 and a 210 Nosler partition. At the shot, she went straight down and stayed down. That rifle wears a Nikon 3.5-10x50 monarch scope.

Your 325 will be fine. I would use a 200+ grain bullet, and set it for a 200 yard zero and go hunt elk.

Make sure your knife is sharp.

My father hunted 30+ years with a 308, and one guy out of our old group used a 270 win. My brother used a 30-06.

I'm not sure, as it doesn't sound like you know where you're going yet? If you're planning on a "draw" type hunt, you better get scrambling, some western states the draw is already accepting applications for fall. AZ is one of those. If you're planning on buying an over the counter, or land owner tag, make sure you don't miss the deadline on those either.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

BrettSass844

Might want to take a look at Idaho also. OTC tags that are first come first serve. My group of hunting buddies have a trip planned for Sept. Bear/Elk trip to the Selway Bitterroot. The tags are $416 if I remember correctly and bear tags are only $31. Several sources claim that area is home to the largest elk herd outside of yellowstone.

Basic Member

Nobody has mentioned Washington yet. I know that it&#39;s not the first choice for trophy elk, but there are some very nice Rosevelt elk on the Olympic Penninsula. Plus, nonresident tags are sold over the counter for $435. I don&#39;t think that you really need an outfitter here. With a good map and some local help (I&#39;d be happy to point you in the right directions) you could have a pretty good do it yourself hunt here in Western Washington.

As far as general info on elk hunting, I may not have the most experience in harvesting elk, but I do see animals every time I go out. In fact we just saw three bulls (two 3x3s and a beautiful ivory tipped 4x5) yesterday while out for a walk. This was only a mile from town. I haven&#39;t shot an elk, but I&#39;ve helped 3 others get theirs. I&#39;m very picky about shot placement/angle. If it&#39;s not an unobstructed broadside shot at a standing animal, I don&#39;t take it. That&#39;s just me though. It&#39;s not uncommon to see 2-3 legal (3pt minimum for most elk here in WA) in a day in the right area. But that doesn&#39;t mean that you&#39;ll get a shot! Here on the West side of WA a lot of the elk hunting is in the dense brush. I typically hunt with a revolver (45-70, 454, 44mag) or Contender (35 Rem, 375 JDJ, 44mag) as my primary weapon. A nice compact rifle comes along (mine&#39;s a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger) in case I find myself in a clear cut. Your 325 WSM would be a great choice. Just use a premium bullet. Theopen country guys do pretty well, but the pressure on public land can be pretty heavy. Our modern firearm season is only 9 days on the west side, but slightly longer on the East side.

Like I said, WA may not be a trophy state but we&#39;ve got elk. The tags are available and reasonably priced for nonresidents, and there&#39;s a lot of good public land to hunt.

Andrew

Basic Member

Thanks.. will do. If not drawn, then I will consider this.

NATTY BUMPO

Tracer

I do believe that the state of Colorado is going to do something to get the hunters back who want to hunt elk! They have lost a lot of revenue the past few years.
    First off choose your state and weather or not you want to hunt and use horses, then you want to check a list of Outfitters and their prices for a hunt. Some offer combo hunts but I myself was never fund of that idea.

Also check with the Game Commission in the area and see what they say about that Outfitter! Then you want to know or get a list of clients for the past 2 seasons that and give them a call etc. Questions to ask are how are the guides, how is the food and accomidations. Most of those Outfitters will tell you what you want to hear, however keep an open mind and also find out what their success ration has been the last 3 years say on bull elk and size.

You will need to get a list of what to take with you on this hunt, cloths rain gear (thermo underwear), boots 2 pairs (wool socks) (pac boots also for snow) and walking shoes around camp. This just for starters.

You getting in shape for the high country is the most important!!! I used to spend 60 days of walking up hills with a backpack, weighted it as weeks went on with my sons training weights. I also walked up and down the bleachers at the high school. Cardio is the name of the game, being able to walk for at least 5 miles just in case you might have too.

Basic Member

:)

Thanks folks for the advice… Have contacted a guide and am signed up for a New Mexico drawing. I have to admit my chances are low for this draw according to the odds posted. I am working on an alternative plan for Montana because I have friends and relatives there. My finances are secure, so now I just have to wait and see what is in store for my once in a lifetime hunt.

For the past month I have been walking at least 4 miles 3 times a week and hope to bump that up to 5 miles. Actually I have lost about 10 pounds which is good.

I have a new 325 wsm stainless for this hunt. I am ordering a new laminated stock and will have a bushnell 3200 bdo 4X 12 mounted. I know that the laminated stock will be heavier, I have one on my 270 wsm and love laminated stocks. A lot of folks are not so keen on laminated stocks and the weight is a big issue with them, but I am thinking this weight might be good and help reduce recoil. I finish my own and use automotive clear coat which actually puts a pretty hard finish on the wood.

The choices for 325(8mm) bullets are not that abundant. I got his gun for a fantastic price and that might be one of the reasons why. I am looking at a 200 grain nolser spitzer or 200 nolser accubonds. I have had recommendations for sierra game king 220 grains and a 200 grain barnes tsx. Once rifle is completed by late spring, I will take a month or two to pick a bullet. That might be the most expensive thing to do.

The guide that I have talked to has suggested a very good pair(2) of hiking boots. So I actually have ordered one pair and will try them out. If I like them, I will get a second pair to break in as well. He was telling me the temps for October where he hunts are generally in the upper 20’s to low 30’s in the morning and could be as high as upper 40’s to low 50’s in the afternoon. Since we will be walking several miles a day, I am trying out good wool socks and boots with no insulation. My feet usually get really hot and once they sweat, it’s over as far as them staying warm. He told me via an email that he packs a pair of gaiters in case of snow. I have to admit I had to look up what these were, I had no clue.

This type of hunting I will be doing is all new to me so I am trying to dig out as much info as I can. I do know that I have got to have a good hunting pack. They have a few on sale here at bass pro and a couple of packs have caught my eye. To be honest, I am so tired of reading reviews that I am just going to grab one and be done. I will try to accumulate other things such as pants and shirts over the summer.

Folks, I have never done this before and if you have any suggestions, please let me know. There might be others out there who could use the info as well..

Thanks and God bless….

….

Basic Member

Another option that you might consider is Cabelas TAGS...iv&#39;e never been able to afford a guided hunt either, but that may be your best bet. They have a catalog that explains the difficulty of each hunt, and they have a good amount to choose from. You might also consider a "ranch" hunt. I know that one of the former Denver Broncos player (Jones, i think) has a ranch in Utah (i think) that offers a hunt for around $3500 and up......I&#39;m not a big fan of this style hunt, but if this is possibly a once in a lifetime hunt, it would be nice to stack the odds in your favor.There are also places in Canada that are "ranched elk" but have some really FANTASTIC antler sizes.....I live in S.E. New Mexico, there is the Mescalero Apache tribe in Mescalero, just outside or Ruidoso that if you have the$$$ have some REALLY nice hunts...search " Inn of the Mountain Gods" on google(and they have a BEAUTIFUL Lodge and Casino.......just some thoughts...rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you&#39;ll fall for anything!

Tracer

Wal0001, my advice it to use the Nosler Accubond bullets! They for starters have a very high B.C. meaning they go a long ways down range and retain their kinetic energy bettert than others. This means they will have a higher amount of "knock-down" energy hitting that animal. They are also very accurate over the partition and others too. I use them in my 7mm mag (160 grn) for mule deer and my .338 Win mag using a 225 grn bullet.

Elkbane

Wal,
    Here&#39;s a rec on a pack. I&#39;ve discarded several before I settled on this one.
    Cabela&#39;s Elite Scout Pack, regular size. Unless you have to pack out meat, then you need a frame pack.

You&#39;ll need to limit the amount of stuff you take along with you and this is about the right size to keep you focused on efficiency.

Other things that are a "must have": Binoculars, with bino-buddy style straps, rangefinder and SHOOTING STICKS!! You&#39;ll be in terrain with alot of elevation and the sticks are great fro quickly getting a steady rest.

I carry in my pack:
    Ammo
    knife (2)
    bone saw
    water bottle, snacks
    spare socks
    seat cushion
    packable rainwear
    compass
    maps
    gaiters (sometimes)
    50&#39; of parachute cord (tie elk legs to trees so you don&#39;t have to fight them while cleaning)
    handywipes
    toilet paper
    small emergency first aid kit
    aspirin or advil
    and it&#39;s really dry out West, pack lip balm and eyedrops.........

The pack lets you strip off clothes and put them on the outside without going inside.
    I mounted my stick holders on the left side of the pack where I can reach over (back) and snatch them out for easy use.

Focus your clothing on dressing in layers. Usually if you&#39;re walking, you&#39;ll stay warm if you can cut the wind.

..........and just because they call themselves a "guide" doesn&#39;t mean they can guess distances - I missed 2 elk because my guide was a bow hunter and couldn&#39;t range any better than I could. One missed a range call by a factor of 2.....another called 600 yards on a shot I didn&#39;t take on a 350 class bull, only to find out the next day, it was 400. I&#39;ll never go west again without a rangefinder.
    Elkbane

Elkbane, great day pack list, Thanks
    Wal, I am too "trying" to get in shape for my CO Elk hunt this year. See if you can find a hill to train on, I am am packing 20lbs after July, I will bump it to 40 lbs in my backpack.
    Good luck,
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member

I just returned from a backpacking trip in NM and I would suggest that while you are walking try to condition yourself so you can walk 2 miles in 1/2 hour. Maybe walk 1 1/2miles at a normal pace and then pick up the pace for 2 miles. Then the remaining 1 1/2 miles can be done at your normal pace. As you get comfortable with the pace, add some additional weight to your backpack.

Good Luck

Chris

CaptnDan

No one has mentioned BC?
    What are your objectives? Big bull or any elk? How much do you want to spend? How long do you want to hunt? Remote area?

I did a ten day back-country guided trip in the Kootenay Mountains of Eastern BC. It was a ten hour horseback ride to the base-camp. It was a trophy area; six point minimum. It was a one-on-one hunt.

I did a lot of research and picked this hunt for several reasons:
    1. Fairly low altitude. Colorado Montana can get pretty high and I&#39;m a flat-lander and I&#39;m old.
    2. Trophy area
    3. Can hunt with a rifle in the rut.
    4. I just connected with the guide/owner. He is a good guy and really know his stuff!

End result? My guide called in five 5-pointers but never a legal bull. The last one had a sixth point but didn&#39;t make the 1-inch minimum requirement. I didn&#39;t get an elk but it was a very exciting trip. Just thinking of those wild-eyed, mud-matted, bugling bulls makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up! All of the bulls were well within 300 yards and I thought we would have to shoot one in self defense! He just wanted a fight!

I hunted with a Dakota 338 Win Mag and would consider it a fine elk cartridge.

I did end up shooting a grey wolf and have a nice pelt and skull to show for my trip.

I can send you the guide&#39;s name if you are interested. I think the trip is about $8 grand but he does have a little cheaper (shorter) trips.

Captn&#39;

Basic Member

[b]I have not posted in awhile and when I look at the calendar, my hunt is only a few weeks away. I started planning this back in April, and now in August, I still have not gotten myself ready. Everyone I have talked to has told me to get in the best shape I can. I sprained my knee back in late April, and with complications, could not exercise until two weeks ago. So I am back to walking stairs at work and walking about 4 to 5 miles a day with 20 lbs in my backpack.

Gun is not ready either. I got a new savage 325 wsm and finally am able this week to go to the range. I was not a member and finally bit the bullet so to speak and joined. Will be breaking in the barrel this week and hope to get it sighted in next. That gives me only a few weeks to work out the load I need to practice shooting from different settings. I hope to shoot some at 400 yards to see if I can hit the paper. This brings me to a question—what kind of shooting sticks to use? Not sure which ones to even start testing. I am hunting in New Mexico and thought about the adjustable from monpod, bipod to tripod cabelas offers.
    Got most of my clothing set except for boots. I bought some 400 gram insulated that I will wear deer hunting here to take along – finally got them broken in. I am also going to take along a pair of non-insulated boots. I figure I would wear the non-insulated because I do not want my feet to sweat.

Closing in on a big back pack so I can take the kitchen sink if need be—it does have a hydration pack. I drink a lot of water so I am sure I will need to take more. . Not sure on gloves yet, the only item I have not reviewed. Please let me know what else I need to consider. Since I am going with a guide, I have been over this with him and I think I have covered all the bases. Two things he stressed, the better shape I am in, the more chances increase and for me not to forget how important it is to hit what you aim out. He remarked at how many folks show up and can not hit a gallon jug at 200 yards.

Thanks for all the help....

fyimo

I have hunted Elk in Colorado for 29 years straight as I lived there for 21 of those years. I agree with others that unless you draw a trophy tags most of the bulls taken ar decent but not usually trophy class when hunting public land. We drew our trophy hunt after waiting and collecting preference points for 18 years and we hired a guide for that hunt because we were not familiar with the area we drew. My two sons and I each got a trohy Elk and the hunt was amazing because it takes place during the rutt.

Anyway, If you go to Colorado as an out of state hunter and plan on taking a ATV you will also need to get a permit to use it and that costs $25. They have over the counter Bull tags and you can put in for the draw on cow tags. Elk hunting is much different then Deer hunting in that you are always moving and have major elevation changes. The worst the weather meaning snow the better the hunting so you should have chains for you truck or SUV.

If you actually hunt hard and keep moving you will Elk and probably take oneunless it's all cows you see and no bulls. Colorado does have point restrictions on bulls so you will need to know the regulations on whats legal. The over the counter bull tags are usuable in nearly every Elk zone so you have plenty of area in the state to hunt. We hunt in area 55 which is near Gunnison, CO and this year we took 3 Cow Elk out of 4 tags.

You rifle is fine for hunting Elk as it's all about shot placement as they are hardy animals and tracking a wounded Elk is tough workand they can go a long way if not hit in the vitals. As they say the fun stops the minute you pull the trigger because with some you may have to quater them and pack them out and thats real work.

Anyway good luck in your quest for an Elk because once you get one you will want to hunt them a lot more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast