Thread: SSS ACME DBM kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    rusty815

SSS ACME DBM kit

hi everyone, im planning on getting this kit from SSS sometime soon, but first i would like to get some experiences from people here in the savage shooters

i know there are other threads about this, but none of them satisfy me, if im going to drop 200+ dollars on an upgrade, i like to know that its a good one :)

does it fit in the factory stock without any inletting? does anyone have any experiences using the ACME kit on a 300 WSM? when you put in a magazine, is it stiff or does it move some?

im going to get this on my savage which i will use as a dedicated hunting rifle, and by dedicated, i mean its going to see some heavy use i just want to know if it will hold up well.

82boy

Re: SSS ACME DBM kit

Quote Originally Posted by rusty815
    does it fit in the factory stock without any inletting?
    That was the original intent of the design so that it would be a true drop in.

does anyone have any experiences using the ACME kit on a 300 WSM?
    I don't think that this will work. the magazine is a single stack design for use on 308 dimension cases. (IE 22/250, 6BR, 6x47, 243 win, ETC)

when you put in a magazine, is it stiff or does it move some?
    The machining on SSS stuff is top notch, the magazine snaps in place and has a tight fit, but no matter what you do any magazine will have some movement, there has to be some space so that the set up will detach, if it is too tight, then it will be difficult to remove the magazine.

im going to get this on my savage which i will use as a dedicated hunting rifle, and by dedicated, i mean its going to see some heavy use i just want to know if it will hold up well.
    It should hold up fine.

rusty815

i believe the 300 WSM should fit, its about as long as a .308 round but wider, if the .284 fits then i would think the 300 WSM should fit since they are pretty close in dimensions, thanks for answering my questions.

Basic Member

WSM's will not fit in the magazines, it is for the .308 family of cartridges.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

rusty815

darn, is there a DBM kit with a magazine that will fit my wsm then?

bbradford71

I just ordered mine today for my 300 WSM, my research shows that the mag for the 308 will work you just have to open up the lips a little, the 10 round mag should only hold 7 of the WSM rounds.

Brent

Basic Member

probably wont work being how sharpshooter said they wouldnt.

bbradford71

Really, because I spoke with them twice today and both times they told me it would.

Basic Member

Fred Moreo (sharpshooter) just said it would not work about six posts ago.

bbradford71

Now that pisses me off, I called them back the second time today just to make sure they would and was told yes they will fit.

rusty815

i called SSS a couple months ago and they told me it wouldnt fit. it doesnt matter to me anyway since i bought a stock from Kevin over at Stockade gun Stocks and i also ordered one of his custom AICS bottom metals along with it, i would recommend getting an AICS DBM since it is easier to find magazines, and theyre getting cheaper as more companies start making them.

bbradford71

I just called them back and they double checked and you are right, 300 WSM will not work. I have toyed with getting a CDI but from what I've been told they will not set flush with the bottom of your stock they are recessed about an 1/8 of an inch. Not to mention they do not come with a mag.

Brent

Basic Member

Fred, will your kit work, or could it be made to work on older long actions chambered for .308, or .223?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

The frame is too short for what you want. I would have to make a special long/short frame, and I don't have enough call to do that.
    By the way....a WSM cartridge is larger than the inside width of the magazine.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

FLATGUNPHIL

Will this conversion work on a stagger feed assuming that the stock is inletted?
    Phil

Basic Member

i called SSS a couple months ago and they told me it wouldnt fit. it doesnt matter to me anyway since i bought a stock from Kevin over at Stockade gun Stocks and i also ordered one of his custom AICS bottom metals along with it, i would recommend getting an AICS DBM since it is easier to find magazines, and theyre getting cheaper as more companies start making them.
    If you're using the AICS bottom metal, just order a 300 WSM magazine from Accurate Mags. They aren't cheap, but they are designed to feed the 300 WSM and they work like a dream. I just got one to use in an XLR stock, and I'll probably order another just to have a spare.

Andrew

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by FLATGUNPHIL
    Will this conversion work on a stagger feed assuming that the stock is inletted?
    Phil
    Yup, works for both.

rusty815

Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport
    If you're using the AICS bottom metal, just order a 300 WSM magazine from Accurate Mags. They aren't cheap, but they are designed to feed the 300 WSM and they work like a dream. I just got one to use in an XLR stock, and I'll probably order another just to have a spare.

Andrew
    Alpha magazines makes some good 300 WSM magazines, that's where i plan on buying them once my stock with the BM comes in.