Thread: Loaded some .308 for my 111, hitting low and right

Basic Member

Loaded some .308 for my 111, hitting low and right

So I have my 111 with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 sighted in with Remington 150gr rounds and took it to the range. I fired a few, coldbore was way off but the rest were at least 1 MOA. I went to some reloads I cooked up out of my own brass and some Remington 155gr bullets with 35.9gr of Varget which according to the Hornady manual is good for roughly 2200 FPS. So at 100 yards these rounds were hitting at least 3" low and 1" right. Any ideas what could cause this? Is it just the difference in bullet weight or velocity? Didnt think it could cause that big of a change.

M.O.A.

Re: Loaded some .308 for my 111, hitting low and right

yes its just the change in load ;D how was the grouping if it was ok then its ok

Basic Member

Seen it before on my 308. Except another bullet was shooting high and to the right lol. Different bullets, with different loads will do that.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

2200 fps is awfully low for that weight bullet in the 308. It's the reason your rifle is shooting low.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

My exact thoughts 2200 fps is 30-30 range, no slam on the 30-30 my leaver action fed my family for many years and still does, bump it up to 2700 fps with 44gr of
    varget and you will still be far from max, for that matter you can load a full case of varget and still be far from max pressure.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye
    My exact thoughts 2200 fps is 30-30 range, no slam on the 30-30 my leaver action fed my family for many years and still does, bump it up to 2700 fps with 44gr of
    varget and you will still be far from max, for that matter you can load a full case of varget and still be far from max pressure.
    Ok cool I'll give it a shot. I wanted to take it easy on my first loads to make sure I didnt break anything. Next time I make some I'll load it hotter.

Eric in NC

Others are right but I would stay away from the "load a full case" method unless you are using black powder!

Too many variables there.

BTW - you will see loads move left and right as well as up and down with velocity variations. The marks the rifling makes act like seams on a baseball as the bullet rotates and travels - sort of like a curveball!

Basic Member

The instant you pull the trigger and the bullets starts down the barrel the barrel starts a downward arc due to gravity and chamber pressure. On top of the downward movement, the barrel is vibrating like a tuning fork and both of these effect the POI of the bullet

On a military rifle you "tune" the rifle to shoot the issued military ammunition.

On a commercial rifle you "tune" your ammo to give the best accuracy in your rifle.

Both methods above are controlling barrel vibrations, change any variable in your load or rifle bedding and the POI can shift.

I had a 6mm Remington 788 that the POI shifted one foot to the right by going from a flat base Sierra bullet to a Sierra boat tail shooting the same powder charge.

dacaur

any time you change loads, you should expect a POI change.... my brothers 30-30 is extreme case, he sighted in his scope with some 150 grain bvac loads, then we shot some leverevolution though it, and they grouped 8" low and 6" right.... it was weird...