Thread: Replaced firing pin and bolt head retaining pin, still bolt issues

Basic Member

Replaced firing pin and bolt head retaining pin, still bolt issues

Well, no problems with my firing pin or the retaining pin, but when I have a round in the chamber and try to unlock the bolt or when I go to chamber another round when I lock the bolt down it is quite difficult, almost to the point where I have to use the scope for leverage. I don't think this is normal and Savage's customer service is just about worthless.

When there isnt a round in the chamber its still quite easy to open and close, but its just about impossible with a round in it.

Basic Member

Re: Replaced firing pin and bolt head retaining pin, still bolt issues

Sounds like your headspace is off now. Find a set of Go/NoGo gauges and check it. Or take it to a smith and have him check it.

+1, check the headspace.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

jinx-)

do you get scratches on the brass when you cycle it? are you using factory ammo or reloads? I had very similar issues, but it wasn't headspace.... It was off-center with heavy chatter,
    [img width=416 height=450]http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5466/6mmchamber8.jpg[/img]
    but I had most issues with handloads, when I used once fired brass from the same chamber, it was totally deforming perfect brand new Lapua brass creating physical locks throughout the body....

[img width=561 height=450]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4886/6mmnorma5.jpg[/img]

but that's me and my chamber issues... but before go that far, look inside of the receiver to see if scope base screws sticking out, maybe they are to long, also check front action screw, if nothing noticeable get candle and light it up, then get that boltface in the flame and cover it in the soot, cycle that bolt without brass in the chamber, then remove it, any tight spots would show on the bolt-face or around chamber-receiver area, here you can actually see where boltface scratched chamber from 2 o'clock to 6 and chamber is off-center to the bore...

[img width=600 height=375]http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5607/6mmchamber1.jpg[/img]

as a last step get soot on the brass, make sure its not live ammo, you don't want to put live ammo in the open flame. with candle soot cover neck, shoulders and some of the body, then carefully insert it in the chamber then close and open bolt, that would leave marks where brass contacted the chamber. If you can make some pictures... Just like this one:
    [img width=600 height=357]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3968/6mmnorma17.jpg[/img]

put a round in it. try to take it out and make sure it is still tough to do.

Then try loosening the front action screw a couple turns. If the screw is too long it will do exactly what you are describing. If this work you may just need to file it down a couple thousandths at a time till it fits correctly.

You could also take the barreled action completely out of the stock and retry it, just to make sure the action isnt binding in the stock anywheres.

Just something quick to try before you rest the headspace.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Its not scarring the brass as you described. I was using both factory and reloads, both having issues and the reloads were full length resize.

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    put a round in it. try to take it out and make sure it is still tough to do.

Then try loosening the front action screw a couple turns. If the screw is too long it will do exactly what you are describing. If this work you may just need to file it down a couple thousandths at a time till it fits correctly.

You could also take the barreled action completely out of the stock and retry it, just to make sure the action isnt binding in the stock anywheres.

Just something quick to try before you rest the headspace.
    I'll give this a shot tomorrow, thanks!

Basic Member

Turns out it was the action screw, thanks for the help!

Basic Member

Always nice when it turns out to be the easiest fix.

No problem. Glad we were able to figure it out without you having to do too much work.

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

jinx-)

I knew it., I'm special, no one gets stuff like me. Good thing it is over now!