Thread: Just keeps shooting right?

hawkinpup

Just keeps shooting right?

Can someone tell me if there's a solution to my Stevens 200 .223 CF short action? I have tried different barrels, bases, rings and scopes in different configurations and I have to bottom out the windage side of the scope all the way left and I still hit 6 inches to the right of the target. Does the action need to be trashed or can it be fixed? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

358Hammer

Re: Just keeps shooting right?

If you shim the windage/scope does it still shoot to the same spot?

Neal

hawkinpup

really shims? Im I supposed to put them in the rings?

Basic Member

hawkinpup

Thats a good way to solve it I guess, seems like a band aid and not a problem to the solution. Could the screws for the scope base be of center? is there any way to fix that?

Sounds like either the holes are drilled off center, or the action is twisted. Both can be fixed. I'd probably start with sending it back to Savage and see if they'll just send you another rifle. That would be the easiest fix.

Barring that, if you've got too much wrapped up in mods already (barrel, etc), then send it to Fred at SSS, I'm sure he can straighten it out for you.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

ellobo

There is a great article in the latest American Rifleman magazine out how to correct this kind of problem with scopes and recievers. Take a look before you try something expensive and dramatic.

El Lobo

I had a similar problem a few years ago with an early Savage my son owned. I solved it very easily with Millett angle lock rings. They allow you windage adjustment. There are others but these are the ones I used.

http://swfa.com/Millett-Angle-Loc-We...ses-C1183.aspx
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

Basic Member

I got the same problem right now. I can&#39;t tell if my screw holes are out of line or I need my action trued. The screw holes point toward the right side of the barrel at the end. I straightened this out with a set of Leupold windage bases though. Is there any way to tell if its the screw holes or a barrel and action mis-alinged?

Samdweezel05

Quote Originally Posted by jsthntn247
    I got the same problem right now. I can&#39;t tell if my screw holes are out of line or I need my action trued. The screw holes point toward the right side of the barrel at the end. I straightened this out with a set of Leupold windage bases though. Is there any way to tell if its the screw holes or a barrel and action mis-alinged?
    Put the screws in the holes and use a strait edge to see if they all touch in a strait line.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samdweezel05
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthntn247
    Put the screws in the holes and use a strait edge to see if they all touch in a strait line.
    I aligned a tight string with the screw holes and pulled it down the end of the barrel and it was off to the right side of the muzzle. The screw holes do lign up but theres no way to tell if they are centered with the action center.

...or the barrel could be less than perfectly straight...

hawkinpup

I did talk to SSS and he told me that alot of the time when they heat treat the action it will warp to one side because of the metal cut out for the magazine and port, also if the recoil lug is thicker on one side or the other that can also throw it off. To bad there&#39;s no way to fix it so that there&#39;s no need for shims and windage adjustments. You would think that savage would do better at QC or replace the action.

hawkinpup

Well I stripped everything down to the bare action and lined up the two front base holes with a straight edge and I cant believe how far off the rear holes are to the left.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://s3.postimage.org/tikmz7bhu/stevens.jpg[/img]
    image upload

Basic Member

There&#39;s always a way to fix it....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

If the rear holes are off to the left, wouldn&#39;t that cause a scope to angle to the right and shots to go left? What am I missing here?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

David Clark

You are right GaCop Just buy a adjustable windage ring and base set, set your scope back to zero and bore sight it and be done with it. No big deal!!1
    dave

Is that action pink? :-\
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

utah1

I've got a model 12 in .223 that doesn't shoot straight. I've shimmed the rings now, but it use take up most of the windage to get it to zero. Made the shims out of a Pepsi can (do I get a Redneck award or something?) and it shoots great.

Basic Member

Rednecks use beer cans.
    Larry E Kauffman Sr

harro

G'day

Buy some Burris Signature rings, and a selection of inserts that go in them (5,10,20 moa) if you can't get the scope lined up with them, then there is something really wrong with that action.
    If you are having to shim your old rings to get the scope lined up then you are probably not getting full contact between the scope and rings, that causes stress on the scope, and the next problem you will have is your scope will not track and adjust correctly.Burris Signature rings are some of the best rings you can buy in my opinion because even if you are not having the problems mentioned above it means you don't have to lap your rings.I would buy some and then adjust your scope to its central postion (half way on both it's windage and elevation) then try different combinations of the inserts until you find a combination that is the closest when you bore site the rifle at about 25 yrds.

Thankyou for your time

harro

I have just realised I probably didn't explain that very well.The inserts are usually used to acheive different elavation settings but they can also be turned 90 degrees and adjust windage as well I hope that makes sense