Thread: left and right handed picatinny rails?

rusty815

left and right handed picatinny rails?

Hi everyone, hate to start another post, i feel like im spamming, but i have a lot of questions that have come up lately about my new savage, this ones a lot simpler than the rest though ::)

im looking to get an EGW picatinny rail for my rifle, a savage model 16 left handed, but i dont understand why there is a different kind for left and right handed rifles, is there a difference between the two? would i have a problem using a "right handed" picatinny rail on a left handed gun?

heres a link to two picatinny rails:

http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage...-mount-silver/
    http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage...y-scope-mount/

(id like to get the silver one to match my barrel, but they dont make a left handed picatinny rail in silver)

Basic Member

Re: left and right handed picatinny rails?

Straight from your link:

"Our left-handed mounts are beveled on both the left and right side in order to accommodate rifles with a left-hand ejection port."

Not really sure that is going to cause you any problems in the field if you use a right mount. Might ding your brass if you really like to rip them out of there. I'd have to look at one of mine I have mounted to see how much bevel there really is.

rusty815

if you could get back on me with that, itd be great, i usually use factory ammo, but i reuse some of the casings a lot (like to be environmentally friendly... sometimes) so i dont want to ding it too bad

my right handed HD mount is beveled on the R side but not the L, but there is so little bevel there i dont even think it would make a difference I had to look at it really close to tell. Theres so little, that if you had to you could always bevel it yourself with a dremel, then just re-color it with a Sharpie pen or something. Actually, with a Silver one you probably wouldnt even have to re-color it.

Think of how many times we eject a pc of brass and it hits the ground, and we pick it back up and it is fine. Hitting the scope base is no worse than that, or no worse than the case hitting the top of the action on its way out of the chamber.

I think you'll be just fine.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

rusty815

alright, ill go for the silver one then

thanks!!!

Pdog06 is dead on. The amount of bevel is so small it won't make a difference. It's only about 1/8" anyway.

I have RH rails on all my LH rifles.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/IMGP1363.jpg[/img]
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Cycler

I have the EGW Picatinny mount on my Left-handed Model 16 and it's symmetrical so it fits either lrft or right handed actions. It's cut away over the receiver ejection port and beveled on both sides so it causes no interference.

rusty815

thanks for the picture geargrinder, that pretty much sealed the deal for me, i bought the silver picatinny rail for my savage, thanks everyone!

It wasn't on purpose that I posted a picture of the exact rail you are looking for. ;D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

rusty815

haha, well thanks for it anyway, it looks nice though, is that your rifle?

Not mine. Just something I found during the same discussion a while back.

rusty815

well thanks for the picture, it convinced me to buy the rail mount, and i bought some weaver rings to go along with it, ill be getting both of them by the time i can get my rifle (darn 10 day waiting period > )