Thread: Savage 111 DBM switch to blind mag

Eric2381

Savage 111 DBM switch to blind mag

Hello,

I'm looking to build a custom rifle off a Savage 111 with DBM.

Stock options are limited with the DBM. I don't really care if I switch to a blind mag.

What do I need to do to be able to use one of the aftermarket blind mag LA stocks? What magazine parts do I need to aquire?

Thanks for the help, Eric

Team Savage

Re: Savage 111 DBM switch to blind mag

You can remove the bottom metal from you 111 DBM and use the magazine box and follower in a blind magazine stock. You have a center feed action, so you will need to find a way to hold the magazine box in place, since the magazine well is oversized in the older stagger feed after market blind magazine stocks. I believe Boyd's now makes a LA center feed stock. I am not sure if they have a groove cut so that you can use the L-clip.

This is how I did it:

I threw away the L-clip and decided to find a better way to position and hold the spring loaded blind magazine box in place so that it would not contact the action, or interfere with the bedding or accuracy potently. I taped the magazine box to action with a portion of a business card between for spacing. Next, I press 4 small balls of plumber epoxy putty into each corner of the magazine well and then press magazine taped to action into the putty (Remember release agent on metal). Remove before putty hardens completely (5 min) and any excess putty is easy to clean up and remove with a blade. This forms the base to hold the magazine in the correct position/height for reliable feeding. I then discovered I could put two wood screws in the grooves on the side of the CF magazine box and screw into bottom of the stock to hold spring loaded blind magazine firmly in place. Works like a charm to keep the spring loaded magazine box and follower from pushing up against the bolt and moving around in the oversize magazine well cut into after market stagger feed stocks.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0014.jpg[/img]

Eric2381

Thanks alot. Your post is great!

Sorry for the dumb question, but you say that you can use the bottom metal the rifle already has to do the mentioned modification? Or do I need to source a few parts to do this modification?

I actually don't own the rifle yet, I found one for a real good deal with a timney trigger. I am looking at using the parts I need/want and selling the rest. I have a pacnor barrel I can screw on and headspace up.

I like the idea of the mag box not touching the action. I'd pillar and glass bed the action into the stock so that height is set, then set the mag box in place with the small spacing you mentioned with the business card.

If the price wasn't so great with this rifle with the trigger and the possibility of being able to sell the leftover mag, stock, and barrel for more than the parts off a Stevens, I'd go with a Stevens instead.

Thanks again.

Team Savage

Remove the bottom metal plate from the DBM. Then you can use the box/ spring and follower in a blind magazine stock as I described. You can sell the DBM frame assembly and bottom metal to someone who wants to convert from a blind magazine to a Drop Box Magazine. Or, you can call Savage Arms, give them the rifle serial number and purchase the parts. But the same standard magazine, spring and follower are used in both types of stocks. They just clip on the bottom metal plate to convert it into a DBM.

Eric2381

Got ya. Thanks again.

I'm gonna move on the rifle and get the project started.

Eric

ellobo

Boyds does indeed make a centerfeed stock now, short and long. They also have an introductory laser checkering avaialble for $44. Normal price for the checkering is $55. The stocks are the new Prairy Hunter and the old standard one for centerfeed. Check thier webpage.

El Lobo