Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBI Barrels

pyscodog

CBI Barrels

Took my 308 out today with the new CBI barrel I purchased from Jim. WOW!! Just about sums it up. Clens easy and shoots litty bitty groups. Life is good!

Basic Member

Re: CBI Barrels

Nice! I'm ordering my first CBI (maybe 2) next week.

I have the 243 sporter and it is really sweet. Cleans very easy also.

My 28" 6BR varmint Barrel shoots great and is also easy to clean. Shoots nice tiny little groups. Wish I had more money to buy a couple more before the price jump.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Quote Originally Posted by pyscodog
    Took my 308 out today with the new CBI barrel I purchased from Jim. WOW!! Just about sums it up. Clens easy and shoots litty bitty groups. Life is good!
    Isn't there something in the forum rules stating you HAVE to post pictures? You can't just make a teaser statment like that and not show us.
    More shooting, less typing.

pyscodog

I'm new here and haven't tried the picture thingy yet. Not real good on puters either. Nevertheless, that new CBI barrel kicks butt! I bought another Savage today and although I haven't shot it yet, it just might be a donor action for another CBI. I thinking 260AI.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pyscodog
    I'm new here and haven't tried the picture thingy yet. Not real good on puters either. Nevertheless, that new CBI barrel kicks butt! I bought another Savage today and although I haven't shot it yet, it just might be a donor action for another CBI. I thinking 260AI.
    Glad to see you over here. CBI is hard to beat!

pyscodog

Howdy 5-speed!!

FALFire

I just inquired today asking if Jim still has the 243 SM 9 - twist heavy sporter in stock. I'm thinking that would make a perfect coyote shooter here in Eastern Wa. Anyone have one of these that could fill me in on accuracy and what bullets to use?

Thanks

I have one but, have not really shot it for accuracy yet. Velocity was great, well above pubished load data and it cleans really well. I think it will be a great barrel. Right now it is off to freedom gunworks for nitriding.

FALFire

Thanks Snoegetter,

I am looking forward to re-barreling my Savage. I was going back and forth on the 260 vs the 243, but since I have a ton of 243 brass I suppose that is the direction I'll go. The 9 twist should do well with the 115 DTACS, can anyone tell me otherwise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FALFire
    Thanks Snoegetter,

I am looking forward to re-barreling my Savage. I was going back and forth on the 260 vs the 243, but since I have a ton of 243 brass I suppose that is the direction I'll go. The 9 twist should do well with the 115 DTACS, can anyone tell me otherwise.

Thanks
    Why not just reform some of that 243 into 260. One pass through the sizing die and you are good to go.That is what I did with my extra 243's.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Rocca

[/quote]
    Why not just reform some of that 243 into 260. One pass through the sizing die and you are good to go.That is what I did with my extra 243's.
    [/quote]

haha, I was posting the exact same thing but froggy beat me to it.

jinx-)

I'm making 260 out of my Lapua 308 brass by neck turning them first then FL sizing them to 260...

Rocca

IF you neck turning you can use 308 or whatever. If you dont plan to neck turn its better to use 243 brass or youll end up with a lot of 260 brass with very thick necks.

Basic Member

The 115 DTACs needs at least a true 1:8 twist. Some guys are even using a 1/7.5 twist to use the 115 DTAC.

The 9 twist should do well with the 115 DTACS, can anyone tell me otherwise.

Thanks

FALFire

Thanks Aubie, I was thinking they would require the tighter twist and that's fine, I could use the 105's for my purpose.

I know I could just neck up the 243 brass to 260 and have really considered that option, I actually have quite a bit of 308 and 243 brass laying around so I can go either way. Barrel life would be better and bullets are a no brainer. I sold my last 243 and want to do something with another project. I built my last one on my model 16 Weather Warrior using a Shilen 8 twist 22-250 but it's just a wee bit too heavy for this old man to carry very far. I was hoping the heavy sporter contour will make it more user friendly but I didn't see a Heavy Sporter contour in Jims list for 260. I just might have to reconsider this whole enchilada. ;D

Jim should be able to get you whatever contour you want, the list in his vendor section is usually just what he has in stock, if he's been able to keep it up to date and he has a good amount of product flow so hard to tell.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

DougMH

Make sure you read all the posts under "Criterion prefits" and "Note: Criterion Barrels??? Good enough to win with!!!!"

FALFire

Well.....Damn, now it looks like the barrel is going to be put on hold for a while. I suffered a stroke this past weekend and have lots of follow up and some rehab to look forward to. Kind of odd when suddenly one side of your body don't work, hopefully I'll be back to normal real soon and get in some time for some shooting.

Basic Member

Best of luck, it just takes time and hard work. blue

Well.....Damn, now it looks like the barrel is going to be put on hold for a while. I suffered a stroke this past weekend and have lots of follow up and some rehab to look forward to. Kind of odd when suddenly one side of your body don't work, hopefully I'll be back to normal real soon and get in some time for some shooting.
    Damn...good luck during the recovery!

okey

Just ordered a 6 Dasher from Jim today. He said he just got a box full of CBI barrels in to ship out. Sounds like time for some of you to start stalking the UPS man. ;D

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by okey
    Just ordered a 6 Dasher from Jim today. He said he just got a box full of CBI barrels in to ship out. Sounds like time for some of you to start stalking the UPS man. ;D
    I warned my local UPS driver today that I would be following him around town on Thursday... If he leaves the truck unattended I just have to go pillage looking for my 6BR barrel ;D
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

Basic Member

Thanks Snoegetter,

Thanks
    I doubt a 9 twist will stabilize the 115s. I had good luck with an 8 twist pushing them pretty hard with RL25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast