Thread: Lightweight Hunter

cableman98

Lightweight Hunter

I am loving the pictures of the 11 Lightweight Hunter Series of guns. I have yet to hold one but am ready to place an order. Has anybody got some first hand information on these. I'm just curious of the accuracy with the 20" barrel, recoil felt, problems getting dirt in the forearm. Any information to discourage me spending $675 would be greatly appreciated ;D

Big Old Boy

Re: Lightweight Hunter

I do not think 2- 4 in. will make a dif. do not have one yet but played with one at store and fell in lust with it.I will get a 7-08 as the funds allow.

M.O.A.

at 5.5lbs for the SA and 6lbs for the LA i think is going to have a little more felt recoil. i dont think i would want to shoot a 300 mag off the bench all day but a 7-08 or the likes would not be to bad

cableman98

Not much discouragement guys

Team Savage

Don't go to the gun shop and handle one in person. You'll want to bring it home. How's that?

The only thing that saved me was the only Savage LWH's on the shelf when I first saw one in person were a SA .260 Creedmore and a LA 6.5-284. They are sweet little rifles. The trigger guard, DBM frame and bottom metal are plastic in order to acheive the new bantum weight. But I expect it will be a sales winner for Savage Arms.

Basic Member

What calibre are you leaning towards? I think 243, 260, 7-08 or 308 would do just fine in a light rifle, and with a 20" barrel. Personally I lean towards the 308.
    Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts. No offense.

Team Savage

I say 7mm-08 loaded with the 162 amax or 308 with any variety of bullets.
    I really like the 308 208 gr amax.

Either over RL17.
    RL17 gets the velocity back up in a short barrel.

Basic Member

Actually held one a few weeks ago. It looks nice on the rack but one throw of the bolt and I just felt dirty. :'( Must be the spiral fluting they did or something but it felt horrible. Never felt a gun that bad and I have used a lot of old milsurp junk.

Basic Member

Ok, since your looking for help setting the hook, ... i'll try to help.

Mine is a .260, it weighed in at about 2ozs more than listed. The stock is to da*n pretty to take out in the woods, yes i crawl around with it and no for catching dirt. There is more felt recoil than a 8lb rifle and no it's not a problem, i am recoil sensitive.

Do i like it? You bet. Mine likes about anything i have put in it for bullets, got a coyote the other day at about 50-75yds with a 140gr sst and it was very much a drt. Yes the bolt feels dirty i think it's a combo of the fluting and the matt finish along with the design of the bolt that allows you to pull it up or down as you are pulling it out. When i simply pull straight back it doesn't do it. I did polish the bolt surface on the bolt head and the ball bearing surface with oiled 600 sand paper and it made a world of difference.

Would i buy it again, ... Yes. blue

daisy2007

Finally put my hands on one a couple days ago. And I liked it as much as I thought that I would. I have been wanting one ever since I found out about them. I really liked the wood, the trigger guard and DBM are made out of plastic. I like the look of the rifle and the feel was great, the one that I played with, I didn't notice the bolt being too rough. But, it was far from butter smooth.
    I, however, did not buy one. Why, you ask? Because all the had was two .243's and I am in the market for a 260. If they would have had a 260, it would be in my safe right now.

Also, where are you finding these at for $675, that is a good price from what I have seen on the net. At the gun shop the other day where I looked at them, they were asking $750.

Basic Member

Budsgunshop was the cheapest i found when i was looking, ($705) i don't know what it is now. A search should let you know the best prices now. blue

jonsrm125k5

Havent handled one yet. Wish they made it in .25-06... thats my only complaint.

cableman98

Well guys, thanks for all of the input. I just couldn't wait. I ordered one Saturday in 260 Rem. It should be in Wed. or Thurs. Will keep everybody posted.