Thread: Case Cleaning Trick

Case Cleaning Trick

Hi I have found that adding some automotive compound to my media does a incredible job in only a half hours time, and no matter how nasty the media looks they come out nice inside and out, they end up having a very dull finish to them but they are spotless, then I put them in my clean media with the polish additive for a half hour and they come out like jewelry and the clean polishing media stays nice alot longer because it's only polishing and not cleaning at the same time, I have cut down my case prep cleaning to 1 hour, there are three grades of compound soft med and rough, I use the rough due to the fact that it is brass and not an auto paint it has more scrubbing power, I can't stress the fact on how nasty the cleaning media gets because of the thorough cleaning, sometimes I pick up the nastyest range find brass I can find and throw it in for spite along with other stuff I am prepping and am shocked every time at how impeccable they come out.
    Thanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Re: Case Cleaning Trick

It doesn't leave any residue? Interesting..................
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Uncle Jack

".....automotive compound"

?

uj

HI no residue at all,
    Yes automotive rubbing compound for paint finishes, go to a body shop supply place not pep boys or the likes, there is a paste kind which is OK but the liquid kind mixes better with the media, if your still not conviced use the old media that you were going to chuck anyway to try it. don't for get to ask for the rough cut compound that's the term used in the industry.
    thanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I gotta give that a try, thanks.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

GaCop let me know either way, but I am sure you will be pleased with the results.
    Directions
    Be generous with the stuff add some run until it mixes no brass,
    I put 8 ounces in with my tumbler half full, and then a loop around the tumbler with the squirt
    bottle that it comes in with every new batch I run, it will get pasty in the beginning when you first add it
    but will come around and settle after a few min of run time, if you put to much in you can allways add media I have more than half a bottle in my same media, thats why it only takes only a half hour to clean a batch,
    any questions feel free to ask.
    Thanks Dean

Eric in NC

Shiney brass make tighter groups!

Don't laugh it's allways a subject of conversation how gleaming they are.

dcloco

NU Finish works rather well. No ammonia either.

Just a light scratch remover compound.

I use Turrle Wax Scratch & Swirl remover that I bought from Walmart for $2.00 a bottle and spray some water to the corncobs ( just enough water to add some weight) and the brass came out like new.

Soonlobo

Have you tried Flitz? It's a great product, although sometimes hard to find. Great for all metals, no ammonia, and have used it for all my firearms at one time or another. It's the best brass cleaner I've ever seen.

Link:

http://www.flitz.com/t-msds.aspx

Hi I allways see this but was afraid to ask so here it goes, why is ammonia bad or taboo in reloading?
    thanks Dean

Basic Member

Ammonia will sometimes "etch" brass if used over-strength; as far as cleaning bores, ain't nothing wrong for using it, at all. The ammonia scare stories that you read are promulgated for the most part by the folks who bottle commercial bore cleaners and by the gun writers who are paid to sell their products.

Tanks WCH

Has anyone else tried this yet? just curious

gunpimp69

it works i done it with some speed wax i think turtle puts it out hell they even smell good. its a blue spray bottle with a red pump handle

I'll tell ya what else else works and it's real simple - dryer sheets.

Cut one into thirds or fourths and put in with you media/brass.

I've only used new sheets, but I've been told it works just as well (or better) with used sheets.

Also appears my media looks cleaner after using a couple of dryer sheets.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

RWO

Adding polishing compound to the tumbler media is nothing new. Iosso, Lyman, Rooster Labs, etc, all make it and have for years as the "media reactivator" for worn out media.

RWO