Following a short, but successful day at the golf course, I headed to the farm and by 6 I was in place in case any ghogs decided to appear. Unfortunately, not one hog materialized by the time 7 rolled around.

Earlier in the day I got permission from the owner to drive the perimeter of the fields to see what I could find regarding new burrows. I drove most of the property without finding any and was closing in on the driveway that led out to the main road. I got out of the truck to take a look at a promising area and sure enough, found four holes, but they did not look freshly occupied. I’ll have to set up on them later this week to see if anything shows up. These maybe the only ones that hold any potential unless more ghogs appear from nowhere like the one coming up.

As I’m headed back to the truck I spot something straight ahead on the side of a small embankment that looks like a rabbit. I get back in the truck and pick up the binos and the rabbit turns out to be a ghog just sitting there very still. I knew I had to move very cautiously so as not to spook it. I threw a towel through the open window and over the open driver’s door to cushion the Savage 22-250, grabbed the gun, slid slowly out of the driver’s seat and pushed the door open just enough to bring the gun to bear on the hog.

I had checked it a couple of times to see if it had moved and for distance. It was still motionless and ranged at 90 yards. I brought the small dot and fine crosshairs on the hog’s shoulder. The rest was not the most solid and I had to take several breaths to get steady. Once I was comfortable with the aim, I let the 45 grain hollow point fly to the intended target. I heard a real loud thwack and saw the familiar surrender. The ghog did’nt moved and inch. The hollow point anchored it where it stood, not more that two feet from its hole. ;D

I hopped in the truck and rolled up on the ghog. It was not as large as I thought, but still a decent size for one shot just as it I was losing light.

Here’s the DRT and a close up of the entrance wound. Sorry, but the cell phone did not bring it in very clearly. It’s right in the neck just below the ear. The result of an unsteady rest. No exit wound. Go figure? ???

All around it was another good day!