Thread: Trigger/safety locks up!!!

groaner71

Trigger/safety locks up!!!

I have an FCP-K in .223. I am the second owner, but it only has about 60 rounds total. When shooting this weekend I encountered an intermittent issue where the trigger and safety would both be locked up. Couldn't pull the trigger, or put the rifle on safe. By cycling the bolt handle up/down (without extracting the bullet) it would work fine. It shoots great(5/8" groups at 100m with federal vital shock nosler ammo). I have had the stock off, but did not adjust anything other than verify the stock was properly installed and torqued. Any ideas? I should note that it is both accutrigger and accustock.

r29l20

Re: Trigger/safety locks up!!!

Sounds like your tripping the Accu-safty. Try increasing the pull weight of the trigger.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by r29l20
    Sounds like your tripping the Accu-safty. Try increasing the pull weight of the trigger.
    Yup, that would be my guess and I wouldn't be surprised if the Accutrigger spring had been clipped. You may have to replace the spring.

leather5to1

+ 3 on increasing the trigger pull. If that doesn't work, are you experienced with the accutrigger? I have found some people push the blade sideways a little when engaging the trigger and that will lock them up sometimes.

jonsrm125k5

Sounds like your firing pin is "de-cocking". I had the same problem with my savage (no accustock). It had some sort of preservative inside the bolt around the pin and spring and I didnt find out about it until I tried to sight it in. Clean it out (if it isnt clean already) and adjust your trigger.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by leather5to1
    + 3 on increasing the trigger pull. If that doesn't work, are you experienced with the accutrigger? I have found some people push the blade sideways a little when engaging the trigger and that will lock them up sometimes.
    Good point. A guy at Savage emphatically said you had to pull "straight back". I was dealing with another problem but he mentioned it in passing.

groaner71

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll give that a go. Won't be out shooting until next weekend, but I'll look into the bolt cleanliness and accutrigger adjustment. This is my second rifle with accutrigger and had no issues prior, but I'll keep the trigger pull issue in mind as well.

Thanks again.

jinx-)

it happens all the time if I'll set my target trigger to lowest setting, turn it back 1.5 - 2 turns it should stop, also apply some lubricant betwen safety blade and the trigger, but at no circumstances get that stuff on sear. Sear should only have dry lubricant and if you have oil on it, then try to degrease it then apply dry lubricant.

groaner71

Re: Re: Trigger/safety locks up!!!

Ok. Tightened up my accutrigger spring. No change. Verified that I am pulling straight back on the blade. All good. While watching how I'm cocking and pulling the trigger, I noticed that the trigger locks up when the bolt handle is lowered. If I apply a very slight amount of tension to the trigger blade while lowering the bolt handle, no lock up. Also fewer lockups if I lower the bolt slowly. This is the only rifle that I've ever had an issue with how fast I cycle the bolt. I really hope that someone has a solution for this trigger. Will an aftemarket trigger fix this issue? Can this trigger be fixed? I have to pay to ship to get warranty work done (Canada), so if that's the case I would rather fix it my self. I love this rifle, but the trigger is really embarrassing when I'm shooting with friends.

mtang45

Very interested in the answer to this question. I picked up a used 12 F/TR a couple of months ago and it behaves exactly as you describe. I have other Accutrigger Savages that work just fine.

Basic Member

Have you checked the pull weight? My new FVSS did the same thing after being shot about 15 times. I checked the pull weight on the trigger, it was on 15 oz.. I adjusted it to about 2 lbs and have no issues now.

groaner71

Re: Re: Trigger/safety locks up!!!

I don't have a trigger pull scale, but I pulled the action out of the stock and watched what was happening. Yes, the sear was in fact being knocked out of the notch in the trigger when the bolt was being lowered and being caught by the accutrigger blade. With the action out of the stock, I was able to tighten the accutrigger spring until the sear stopped disengaging from the trigger when lowering the bolt. Thanks for all the input. Its appreciated.

TacBlade

I just had this problem today. I gave the adjustment screw on the trigger a full turn and all is good now!

TacBlade

I had this problem yesterday. I turned the adjustment screw one full turn and it solved the problem. I had it turned all the way to the lightest position at first.

MtnDragon
    Noted Sear Locking problem with my New Savage 12 LRP after a couple hundred rounds fired.
    Trigger pull weight still at factory setting, that seems very light. In any case locking the bolt down
    fully is regularly tripping the sear lock, even when done gently. Good news is I stumbled on a
    bolt/chambering sequence that has made the problem fully disappear.

After I Lift the Bolt to eject old cartridge, I switch the 3 position safety from fire to mid safe postion.
    Then I chamber a new cartridge and close bolt fully down as hard as I like. Sear lock does not engage
    and I can exercise the Pretrigger Blade front and back over and over to make sure not locked. Then
    when ready to actually fire, move the 3 position safety to fire position and pull blade and trigger normally
    for a shot.

One Year Later - Update...

Well low and behold, After about 500 rounds the Saftey/Sear is locking up with the slightest
    touch and the work arround is not stopping it.. Had to increase/adjust trigger pull weight
    + 8 more ounces to make consistant.. :)

:)
    Last edited by MtnDragon; 05-06-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Update one year later....