Thread: How badly did I mess up?

thomae

How badly did I mess up?

I was at a Cabelas today and did not purchase the used Savage 111 flat back receiver 30-06 22" sporter barrel with iron sights for $249

I already have a stevens 30-06 NIB I purchased just to have around in case I want to build something. My deer hunting go-to rifle is a sporterized old FN Mauser in 30-06. Right now I don't do any long range shooting, although I'd certainly like to. However, I don't have the time and certainly don't need another project to add to the 5000 that are currently in progress.

Part of the reason I did not purchase is that I already have the two other ought sixes, but part of the reason is also that I was not sure if this was one of the older oddball savages that one can not find parts/stocks, etc. for. (Yes, I should have written down the serial number, etc...whilst I was there.)

How badly did I mess up and if I need to go back tomorrow or Monday, what should I look for? ???

Re: How badly did I mess up?

Does it have the barrel bump? That's the telltale sign that it is the older model to watch out for. It's also in a true long action caliber, so it isn't an intermediate action either.

You could always pick this one up for a switch barrel. Ever want a 6mmBR or a 338 Edge? This action could do either, or both.

Sorry, just trying to pass on the same sickness I have. ;D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

droach

Ask if they can knock a few $ off the price and then offer the barrel for trade in the classifieds.
    I too already had a 30-06 but the used gun guy at cabelas made it too hard to pass up.

thomae

No barrel bump. I guess that makes it a good deal.

I can just image the carnage as thousands of Savage Shooters decend on every single Cabelas store trying to find this one rifle. :D

Basic Member

After viewing your profile I can guess which Cabelas? I would guess its the one about 45 min. from my house. But as much as I would like to buy it I can't afford it right now.

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by whit
    After viewing your profile I can guess which Cabelas? I would guess its the one about 45 min. from my house. But as much as I would like to buy it I can't afford it right now.
    ;D
    Oh, but I'm sneaky! I'm not at home, but rather on the road traveling
    I'm glad you didn't go. But, on the other hand, you might have found some other deal you couldn't pass up!
    ::)

thomae

Ok, I went back to the Dundee, Michigan store, looked at the rifle again. The sales rep unlocked it, ran a boresnake through it and it looked good. Thought and thought and went back and forth and ultimately did not purchase it for 249. Asked for a discount, but it had not been on the rack for 60 days, so they would not knock anything off the price. based on the condition of the stock, it was likely a safe queen. Now I am back in PA so if anyone of you are close enough to Dundee and want to grab it, have at it. Tell them that the guy from PA who was looking at it on Monday sent you. :) best of luck!