Thread: New Savage 110 Owner/ First post

AZ110

New Savage 110 Owner/ First post

Hello everybody ! I have been reading this forum the past few days and have learned a ton. I think I am going to love this rifle. I just bought a 110 in 30-06 synthetic stock that has only a hand full of rounds through it from a friend who needed money quick due to being laid off. I really had no interest in this savage until he told me he would sell it to me for the price the pawn shop offered him , $100. I know the gun is worth more so I ended up giving him $125 , I tried to give him more but he said if I did not buy it he would only get a $100 anyway.I felt extremely lucky for that deal. Not sure how old it is , but it does have the accu-trigger.

I just bought a burris 4.5-14x42 AO scope for it. I was going to buy a DNZ one piece mount but not sure what size I need.
    I measured the front diameter right at 56mm and I would like to put some type of scope cover on also. Can anyone tell me what size I need or how to measure for the right size ?
    Sorry for the long first post , just excited for the great deal my friend gave me on this rifle.

Thank you for any help !

M.O.A.

Re: New Savage 110 Owner/ First post

the meds is what dnz calls for with your scope ;D and have fun with your new shooter ;D

airaddict

i use DNZ mounts and have used a 44 mag simmons scope and a 40mm Lupy on the Med mounts with no prob.

A new build of mine will use a 50mm simmons with AO and im gonna flip for high mounts cuz the specs say the scope OD is close to 56mm. but i plan to use a varmint barrel for that build. Ide rather have them a little high than too short and have the bell hit the barrel and have to return them and waste more money on shipping. JMHO.

Brian

AZ110

thanks for the help , I am going to try the medium and see what happens. I have a sporter barrel so it sounds like it should work just fine.

Cycler

It's too late since you already bought it but a 4.5-14X scope sound like way too much for a 30-06. Unless you are into long range target shooting a scope with a much lower power range (say 2-7 or 3-9) would be more appropriate to the caliber and weight.

AZ110

I thought about a 3-9 but i figured a little extra might be nice for the long shots. I have a coues deer hunt in October that I want to use this gun for and 300 - 400+ yard shots are very common in the area I will be hunting. This will be my first deer hunt.
    So now I just need to pick up the mount and hopefully be shooting by next weekend. I started reloading for .357 mag about 6 months ago and am pretty comfortable with the process so I am thinking about picking up the dies , powder , bullets and brass and giving 30-06 a shot. Any help on that would be great too.

Can anyone tell me what size I need or how to measure for the right size ?
    Most scope cover manufacturers will tell you how to measure so that their covers fit. Check out swfa.com, midway, etc. and you will find the right one.

I hunted Coues deer in the Chiricahua Mountains of Arizona for many years. Gotta love em. Where did you draw for your hunt? A 30-06 is a lot of gun for the little critters. If you get a shot over 200 yards, depending on where your hunt is, you will be fortunate...don't think I ever shot one further away than 150.

AZ110

wbm , I will be hunting in 34a , all the guys I have talked to said expect a long shot in that unit. I have never been down there but have my first scouting trip planned in a couple weeks. So I guess I will see if those guys are full of it or not.
    Thank you for the info , I am going to check out swfa right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ110
    I thought about a 3-9 but i figured a little extra might be nice for the long shots. I have a coues deer hunt in October that I want to use this gun for and 300 - 400+ yard shots are very common in the area I will be hunting. This will be my first deer hunt.
    So now I just need to pick up the mount and hopefully be shooting by next weekend. I started reloading for .357 mag about 6 months ago and am pretty comfortable with the process so I am thinking about picking up the dies , powder , bullets and brass and giving 30-06 a shot. Any help on that would be great too.
    Handloading for your 30-06 is simple and straight forward. It's an easy round to load. Considering the size of the deer your hunting and the long ranges possibly involved, I would opt for a 165 grain boattail bullet pushed by one of the medium slow or slow powders. RL-19, RL-17, IMR 4350, H4350 are some powders to look at. Check your load manual, and look for the highest velocity you can shoot the particular bullet and work your charges up a couple of grains at a time from the start load until you get the speed and accuracy you want. Load to the max length the mag box will allow to function reliably. Full length size all your brass to be sure it will feed properly.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

jim36

AZ
    Ga cog is giving you some good information. I have a 110 and a 111 w/accutrigger. Both rifles are 30 06. Both of them are quiet accurate with the Nosler 165 gr. ballistic tip boat tail. I use 56 grns of H 4350. This gives me appx. 2800 fps.
    You made a great buy at $125. It will create a new addiction for you ;D
    Good shooting to you
    Jim <")))><

AZ110

thank you all for the great information !

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop
    Handloading for your 30-06 is simple and straight forward. It&#39;s an easy round to load. Considering the size of the deer your hunting and the long ranges possibly involved, I would opt for a 165 grain boattail bullet pushed by one of the medium slow or slow powders. RL-19, RL-17, IMR 4350, H4350 are some powders to look at. Check your load manual, and look for the highest velocity you can shoot the particular bullet and work your charges up a couple of grains at a time from the start load until you get the speed and accuracy you want. Load to the max length the mag box will allow to function reliably. Full length size all your brass to be sure it will feed properly.
    +1 but I will add that you need to make sure that you aren&#39;t jamming the bullet into lands if you "load to the max length the mag box will allow to function reliably". Jamming the bullet into the lands is fine if you work the load up for it but is a no-no for hunting (ejecting an unfired round can leave a stuck bullet in your barrel and dump a ton of powder into everything).

I would also add 4064 to the list of powders - the most accurate I have found accross the board for 165-168 grain bullets in 30-06. Not the fastest, but the most accurate!

Also agree that you should look at the 165-168 grain bullets both for the performance and for the fact that that seems to be the sweet spot for best accuracy in a lot of Savages.

I would also add 4064 to the list of powders - the most accurate
    Good powder for the 30-06. I have a 1903A3 Springfield and when I was reading about the development for ammunition for this rifle apparently 4064 was the most accurate but they chose 4895 because it metered better.