Thread: Need some help in a few different areas with a Savage 111 conversion

a3zrider

Need some help in a few different areas with a Savage 111 conversion

I have a Savage 111 in 270 that was one of the "Combo" rifles that came with scope and all. Since I moved to the "Wonderful" state of California and had to leave all of my fun guns in Florida I've decided I want to shoot again and so I want to convert my 111 to a long range shooter. I've searched and searched the forum and found some answers but some things are a bit unclear so here goes.

I would ultimately like to change this over to 308. Based on what I have read, this seems to be feasible and I'm looking at going with the Criterion Bull Barrel. I'd also like to change to a tactical stock which is where things start to get a little blurry. The 111 I have has a detachable magazine with the mag release being a button on the side of the stock. I'm not attached to a detachable mag and could go with a blind feed if that's the route I need to go however I see that SSS has this "Universal Mag Conversion" kit and I'm curious as to whether that is an option for me considering I'm looking to change the stock as it is(I should mention the current mag is a staggered feed). Now my big question is, which rout I can go with respect to the mag conversion and whether I can do either of these conversion with a stock like the Choate Sniper stock. I see that SSS says the can inlet the Choate stock but my question is, will the mag conversion match to my current action?

Or Should I just sell the gun and but a short action internal box gun to make everything easy?

Thanks for your help

Re: Need some help in a few different areas with a Savage 111 conversion

Your planned project is doable. You may end up putting a block in the 270 mag in order to get it to feed the 308. Then again, it may feed just like it is. Try some 308 rounds to see how they work. I don't know if a 308 mag will fit the floorplate of your current magazine but Fred at Sharp Shooter supply can advise on that. I converted a 30-06 to shoot 260 Remington and had no feed problems (staggerfeed action). Your stock options for the side mag release model is pretty slim (if any) A conversion over to a blind mag stock (centerfeed) may be your best bet. I'm sure others more knowledgeable about the old side button Savage will chime in.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

oosickness

Welcome to the once lovely state of California, I cant wait to bail on this place.

Basic Member

Sell it and go with a short action, you'll be money ahead.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

a3zrider

Yeah I've been out here almost 3 years and definitely ready to get back to Florida where you can actually defend your home and family without fear. The weather is amazing and it's a beautiful place but it's just crazy with respect to being an outdoorsman. Fishing, hunting, shooting, offroading, you need a law degree to decipher the rules and regs out here.

So it I were to sell it what do these go for? It's got like 10 rounds down the pipe and absolutley perfect. I bought it new for a hunting trip and it has sat in my safe since.

If I do decide to sell and get a short action, whats the cheapest platform to build what I'm looking for?