After one evening off and an evening of rain, I was back to the farm where I shot three ghogs Monday evening. Rain was threatening, but it turned out to be a beautiful evening. The heat finally broke.

I decided to try a different approach. Instead of shooting off the hood of my truck as I have for most of my shots this year, I placed two Therm-a-Rest air mattresses in the bed of the truck on top of the ribbed bed liner, using the cap and the tail gate as a blind. And with a blow up pillow to lean on at the back of the bed, I had nearly a 180 degree view of the field.
The first ghog showed directly to my left. I glassed it at 65 yards and then took my time working my way to the tailgate. After placing a thick towel over the tailgate and finding the ghog with the crosshairs on the 22-250, I watched it pop up and down for a few minutes. Then it decided to turn its back on me. Being highly offended, I let fly the 45 grain hollow point to the back of its head. Oh sweet surrender. This one turned out to be a younger hog based on the size.

Here’s the DRT and then the flip side. That round does nasty things when it hits bone.

The next ghog appeared about a half hour later, this time directly to my right. his one glassed at 120 yards. Again I worked my way to the tailgate, lined up the crosshairs and waited for a good shot. This one was moving around and not standing up to look around, so I had to keep the small dot reticle on his shoulder and wait for him to at least stop long enough to pull the trigger. Finally it did and I did also.

Here is the DRT and the close up of the exit wound. No bone this time, but still dead.

This one was a much larger female than the first so I decided to weigh it with the new scale I picked up at Walmart. Thought it would be heavier than that, but I never weighed one before and didn’t have a reference point. Now that I do, I wonder how accurate I can be guessing before weighing?

The End