Thread: Best dies to extend or get the most life out of brass?

Basic Member

Best dies to extend or get the most life out of brass?

I have basic sets of Lee and RCBS that I use for all my loading needs. I was ordering some more stuff today and ran across a few sets that claim to reduce or eliminate the working of the neck when sizing.

One set is the RCBS X-Die 2-Die Set 223 Remington.
    Another die is the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Full Length Sizer Die 223 Remington.
    And then there are the various bushing dies.

I was wondering which set of dies is the best for longevity of brass? It doesn't have to be any of these, it can be any set, I am just wondering if this is possible?

I know annealing will help with case life and I plan on starting soon but is there any way to lengthen the brass life without annealing?

I have neck sizing dies and have used them in the past but don't like the fact I can only use them in one gun. I mostly load for my 223 bolt gun and FL size in case I want to fire the loads in my AR. I load it to an OAL of 2.43 because that is what my bolt gun shoots the best. If I want to fire from my AR I just seat the bullet to the proper depth and fire away. I have done this on numerous occasions without any issues. I like the versatility of doing it this way but after about 4 loadings the case necks start splitting upon firing.

Thanks
    Dolomite

Basic Member

Re: Best dies to extend or get the most life out of brass?

For maximun case life and the ability to swap between a bolt gun and an AR, I would get a Lee collet die and a Redding body die. It will add a step to your reloading, but will extend the life of your brass considerably.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Basic Member

The best way to make your cases last is to adjust your dies to minimally work your cases after they have been fire-formed in your chamber.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

dcloco

More than likely, you are going to run into the issue of not being able to chamber or extract a round from your AR.

Would suggest seperating your brass for each rifle. Because you can buy 1x fired 223 brass for less than 10 cents each shipped, there really is no reason to take the chance.

For AR platforms, you are, generally, better off to FL size every time. Leave the collet/neck/PFL sizing to the bolt/bench/accuracy rifles...not semi autos.

Basic Member

I agree 100% with dclolo. Save all the fancy case prep for the tack drivers and fl size for the AR so it will run reliably.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Basic Member

If you want long brass life, get good brass to start with. I've used Nosler brass in my .223 and have been shooting matches with the same 50 pcs. all season. I use a Redding full length die and bump the shoulders .004". I have about 14 firings on the cases and still shoot in the .2's.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."